Forums Latest Members
  1. Christine S. Aug 12, 2013

2. Sherbie Aug 13, 2013

Nice cocktail watch, but there is not so much interest in ladies vintage watches in the general watch collecting fraternity.

in my view, your best bet would be to take this to a high end jewellers - but be warned, they wont offer you anything near your opening bid, and they may even buy it for breaking up ( ie use the diamonds for something else- if the diamonds are of decent quality)

You may get a better deal if you part- exchange this for something in their shop

sorry for the bad news. I would keep it as a family heirloom, if i were you, in any case - passing it down to the eldest daughter

citizenrich likes this.
  3. Christine S. Aug 13, 2013

I don't have any children so that's why I thought I would sell it. I have a lot of other jewelry that my mother left me as well.

Thanks for your help, Sherbie! My cat looks just like that. :)

4. Sherbie Aug 13, 2013

The movement number dates the watch to 1954

if you are intent on selling, your other option is to let it run as a normal auction, starting at 0.99 cents, and hope for a few bidders

best of luck, whatever route you take

5. Christine S. Aug 13, 2013

Thanks, again!

6. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Aug 13, 2013

Wow, that's a really nice cocktail watch.

I think Sherbie gave you the best advice which would be to trade with a reputable jeweler. Or, keep it.

I hate to be the bearer of the bummer but this is basically what you're up against on ebay:

image.jpg image.jpg
  7. Habitant Aug 13, 2013

Another route would be to look into an outfit like Heritage Auctions, locations in NYC and Houston. You might do a bit better than a bricks and mortar jeweller's shop. Or list it on Etsy, which I feel might address the folks you're looking for (best hope would be a woman buying it for herself) and fewer shoppers looking for a hard bargain.
    With eBay, it seems, the best results are when someone starts it low, gives people the illusion that there's a bargain to be had and hangs on for the white knuckle ride. Trying to control the auction too much (high initial listing, high reserve, etc) seems to scare the same people off who'd be pitching in.
    Contact Heritage or perhaps Aspire Auctions. Both good US houses who can advise you how to handle it. And you would definitely do better still if you could get it into an international auction such as Antiquorum (their next is NYC September 18th) or Bonhams. Both run fine watch auctions and that's where this ought to be; get in touch, these people are experts. But I don't think eBay is the right place for such a lovely piece, you're just asking to get beaten up. They don't call it FleaBay around here for nothing...

citizenrich likes this.
  8. alam Aug 13, 2013

Christine, just curious here..how did you come up with the eBay start price for your watch ? I think you are putting the watch out of the interest range with that price.

9. John R Smith Aug 13, 2013

Another factor is that if you want to list it on eBay you need much better photographs than the ones you have. Get a pro to do it for you.

Habitant likes this.
  10. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 13, 2013

Yes, it's a nice piece. The kinda piece that women would expect to see in an estate and antique jewellery outlet.

The appraisal value you mention is what is known as insurance replacement, and generally the figure is substantially more than global internet value. GIV is almost retail, but internet auctions are also the source for bricks and mortar vintage dealerships who then add their own margins when selling out of their premises.

Having a stab at GIV, and given that there is only a small female collecting community, I would say 14k case with the weight of diamonds mentioned (G is a pretty good grade and the norm with vintage Omega pieces) would probably fetch around 1100 - 1400. I would take it into a reputable estate and antique jewellery house and ask them what they would offer. It gives you an idea of wholesale price.

Good luck in your endeavours.

Cheers

Desmond

11. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Aug 13, 2013

my guess is under $ 1000. omega has a very good name in china and india . these kind of watches should attract interest there. the only problem is the spread of word.......... try to talk to manish jain from india. he is a very well connected and 100% trustworthy indian dealer. never accept paypal from china. good luck ! kind regards. achim

12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 13, 2013

The appraised value (or insurance replacement value or retail value) is 200-400% higher than what the watch will generally face in a straight up auction (wholesale value or what the jewelers will offer will be even less unless as mentioned here you are willing to take a trade). These watches unfortunately don't generate a lot of interest in today's market and it's value lies in its gold and gem content which leads me to estimate it at <$1000. Perhaps your best bet is to ask a reputable jeweler to sell it on consignment - might be your best bet at getting the highest $ for this item.

13. Christine S. Aug 13, 2013

Thanks for the advice.

14. Christine S. Aug 13, 2013

FleaBay. I like that! I'll look into your suggestions. Thank you~

15. Christine S. Aug 13, 2013

I had no clue what it might be priced at so I pulled it out of my butt. lol

alam likes this.
  16. Christine S. Aug 13, 2013

Thanks~

17. Christine S. Aug 13, 2013

Thank you for your advice.

18. Christine S. Aug 13, 2013

I figured the appraisal was pretty high but I wasn't sure if there was even a market.

Thank you~

19. Christine S. Aug 13, 2013

I tried to avoid selling anything from eBay overseas. Thanks for the China PP issue. Good to know!

20. Christine S. Aug 13, 2013

Thanks. Sounds like I might look into some of these options but I may be better off just keeping it.