Forums Latest Members
  1. initialjh Aug 14, 2014

Hi guys,

just in the process of negotiating on this CK2998-1. Original bracelet with "6" endlink, radium dial, dauphine hands, base 500 DON bezel (pretty worn) and the case cover is pretty worn. 17mil serial...

I know lollypop can rarely be seen in CK2998-1, but more in CK2998-2 and CK2998-3. Also, should have base 1000 bezel but this has base 500. Later replacement?

Your input re: this watch is appreciated and range of value I may expect to pay? should i walk or negotiate?

thanks in advance for your opinion.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 14, 2014

First off, I have to say given the chance I would try to buy this watch.

You have already identified the problems and issues and I agree. In addition I think I see some corrosion at the case/caseback junction. In addition I would like to know the rest of the serial, (firt four digits) as I cant tell if its in the right range for an -01 without it.

If you are paying a lot of money for a 2998-1 I would in this case make the sale conditional on an extract. My hunch is the movement number might show it did not originate in a 2998-1. It does not make it a no go, just a different price.

In general 2998's are all rare, in any condition. The -1 is in my opinion the most valuable, with the exception with the -2 with the lollipop.

So this has a lollipop, and a non original bezel. I always try to work out why a watch might have changes to its spec, as the smallest change can hint at deeper issues - but I feel that is not the case here. Here I believe the parts would most likely been added early on in the watches life, possibly very early. Perhaps the owner liked the look of the "new model" 2998-2 and had Omega change the bezel and the lollipop.

I think its a great watch. I realise that many think that it is in fair not good condition, but given the chances to own a watch as rare as this, we have to balance the condition against the price if we want to own one, especially with this hand.

Good find.

g-boac, ock2915, initialjh and 2 others like this.
  3. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 14, 2014

By the indices on the minute sub dial I suspect it to be a 2998-2.

initialjh likes this.
  4. initialjh Aug 14, 2014

these are initial photos. I won't be able to see it in person for another week!!! I can make better assessment once I see it. I guess by discussing with you guys early, if it's a walk away then I won't even need to see it next week.

I suspect the original owner may have something which happened, like dropped the watch, or bump, or something, and badly damaged the original bezel or lost the base 1000 bezel. So a service bezel put on it. From the photos, it looks like a consistently used bezel for the last 50 years, but hey, hard to find those bezel now.

re: the rusts, i did notice but again, will make a better assessment once i see the watch. If not too bad, might be able to tolerate it and negotiate on the price.

The hands and dial are what got me. again, hard to judge from photo but it seems the dial is in very good condition, as are the hands, ok maybe white paint flaking off one of the subdial hand.

thanks again for feedback.

JohnSteed likes this.
  5. initialjh Aug 14, 2014

could it be possible that this was really a CK2998-2 , but Omega had left-over CK2998-1 cover that they used? the bezel is still a puzzle as from my research, it's CK2998-3 that is the switch to BASE500 bezel. can't explain that.

But plausible this was the later transition from -1 to -2?

6. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 14, 2014

The more I think about it the more you need an extract

initialjh and SpikiSpikester like this.
  7. flame Speedmaster Neil Aug 14, 2014

Hi

Nice Watch !

That end piece looks like it has '506' punched to me....rather than a '6'....both are 19mm though.

Best - Neil

initialjh likes this.
  8. initialjh Aug 14, 2014

would extract arrive in time? and I often wonder if an extract is a proof of the watch? Like, would the extract give us info whether it's a -1 or -2 or indeed -3?? :)
    I'll make a better assessment once I see it in person. not the best lighting but thanks Neil! :)

9. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 14, 2014

I was under the impression the base1000 bezel finished during the run of 2998-2 so early 2998-2 had base1000 and later the 500. As was the same for lollipop.

initialjh likes this.
  10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 14, 2014

I was under the impression Omega was no longer issuing extracts on these watches due to not having accurate records on watches assembled by Lemania during this period such as early 60s Speedmasters.

initialjh likes this.
  11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 14, 2014

The bezel is incorrect for a 2998-1
    The dial is while stepped is likely correct for a -1
    The hands including the lollipop and the subdial alpha hands look correct as well though maybe relumed or later correct replacements since they do not match with the dial lume.
    The movement if no higher than 17.761 may be correct though that serial was also seen beyond the -1 models.
    I think it's probably a -1 with a replacement bezel and later but correct replacement hour and minute hands (pending clarification of the serial).

12. Davidt Aug 14, 2014

Good god look at that bezel!

And the dial!

And the lugs!

Northernman and John R Smith like this.
  13. John R Smith Aug 14, 2014

Yes, I think that's what they're supposed to look like . . . ;)

14. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Aug 14, 2014

Yes.

he can't wear it though......

(I wish I could say that about any of mine!)

15. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Aug 14, 2014

Everytime I see that photo I just want to throw money at him...

toddle321, Tritium, Davidt and 2 others like this.
  16. Northernman Lemaniac Aug 14, 2014

You may need a big shuffle!!!
    ::love::

initialjh likes this.
  17. davidswiss Aug 14, 2014

I think it will give that information and also whether the case and movement started out together.

initialjh likes this.
  18. davidswiss Aug 14, 2014

Ah, that I didn't know.

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 14, 2014

Don't treat it as fact yet, It was merely a comment someone from the Omega archive made last year at the Speedy Tuesday event. He said that in the past what happened was the client that requested an extract supplied information about the watch, and that supplied information would go on the extract which was a less than ideal situation, as while Omega was meticulous in record keeping, the Lemania produced Speedmasters were one of the black holes in those records that was never filled. I don't know ultimately what came of it and have not tested that.

initialjh likes this.
  20. tinger Aug 14, 2014

OMG!!