Forums Latest Members
  1. Medard Oct 2, 2012

Bonjour,
    after some research on the internet, it appears that it is the place to find the answers about this watch. This is my father's granfather watch and, after few search, it should be a model from 1944-1947 but i can not find any similar model. I inherited of this watch with the seamaster of my father. I am gone a keep the seamaster but i think i will sell this one. So before acting, i prefer having the more information possible about it,
    so if you have some element of answers, an idea of what it worth to restore it or how much it should be saled, i will be glad to read it,
    please excuse my english, i usualy write in french,
    hope the pictures will be usefull,
    waiting to read you,
    M.L.

04.jpg
    05.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg 08.jpg 09.jpg 03.jpg
    View attachment 6126 View attachment 6126

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 2, 2012

Here is some information from your pictures:

1. The hallmarks are French and dial says "Fab. Suisse" as required by French law at the time. The eagle's head is the mark for 18K gold.

2. Movement is cal. R17.8. More information here: http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&2&2uswk&Omega_R17_8

3. Serial numbers are consistent with mid-1940's production. Dial looks original, but you have not provided a direct photo of the dial.

4. No idea as to collector value, but should be worth the gold content, plus EUR100 to 200 for the movement. Very small men's watches are not in great demand right now.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. Medard Oct 2, 2012

And here is my father's first seamaster,
    i did not try to open it so i can not give you it serial number,
    it is a model less precious than the other but i realy like it !
    I also inherited of his seamaster 60 but it is a much more imposant model,more sport style,
    i will post pictures of it later,
    thanks for reading this,
    M.L. 02.jpg 03.jpg

4. Medard Oct 2, 2012

Thank you gatorcpa for your answer,
    if there is no demande for this type of watch, i think i am going to keep it for a time i will be ready to wear gold,
    i do not want to sell it to a gold-buyer;
    do you think it worth a restauration and have you an idea of what it would cost me to restore it ?
    even if the market must not be the same between France and US,
    it would give me a first see on it,
    thank you for the link sent,
    M.L.

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Oct 2, 2012

The pictures aren't working for me. Amy chance you could try it again? It love to see the R17.8, as I also have one.

6. Medard Oct 2, 2012

I sent you a message via "conversation"