Forums Latest Members
  1. ark Feb 9, 2016

Any help would be appreciated. Mid negotiations with someone over a speedy. They originally stated it was a mid 1970s speedy. I ran the serial and it came back to 1984. He dropped the price.

Also saw that the braclet was not period appropriate, a 1171 instead of a 1447 or 1450. He dropped the price again.

My real concern is that the hands look age appropriate but the markers seem almost too new, no patina. He said it was serviced in 2015 but there are no papers or box. Does the face look correct or should I abort? Thanks for helping out the noob.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Edited Feb 9, 2016
  2. yinzerniner Feb 9, 2016

Unless you're getting if for an unreal price I'd say skip it. These aren't rare and having one that seems to be a parts bin special (serial number, hands, bracelet, dial all seem mismatched) isn't worth it IMO.

Also, that dial looks to not even be a replacement but a relume as the color looks way greener than the typical new dials.

ark and KstateSkier like this.
  3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 9, 2016

Ok its all about price at this level.
    I have seen these numbers in what I am told are watches with Omega service replacement movements. It could be the case here.
    The dial lume colour is frequently seen in mid to late 1970's speedmasters.
    As a wearer its great. The value is around the $2000-2500 as is, if it were auctioned on ebay.
    If it did not have the bracelet, and poor photos, it might sell for under 2000.

However as someone has changed the pushers I bet this is a dealer watch cleaned up and asking $3000+

ark and KstateSkier like this.
  4. ark Feb 9, 2016

Thanks everyone, I ended up passing. Too many unknown variables. I'd rather pay more but not have regrets.