Forums Latest Members
  1. OrangeKenny Jun 12, 2017

Hello,
    I am a new member, searching for a nice vintage omega. This gold Cosmic caught my eye on ebay, so I went through the recommended initial research.
    Case and calibre match (166.026 cal 565)
    https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-details/14310/
    So that's a good sign. Unfortunately the database does not have an image attached.
    The database states a stainless steel case, while this one claims 20 micron plating.
    It seems there is a wide variety of Cosmic's out there, so I'm having trouble identifying which are original and which aren't.
    Here's my novice verdict, and I would love to hear more experienced thoughts:
    Hands: appear to be correct, and match other Cosmic's of similar vintage; condition very good, possibly restored
    Hour markers: searches show similar dials, but only in stainless, not in gold; correctly located, good condition
    Lume: appears to be re-applied, mostly OK but 2 o'clock is a bit of a blob, and 3 o'clock is not quite on centre.
    Dial: Fonts look correct to me, -T SWISS MADE T- is appropriate. There are a couple of small scratches on the dial, but otherwise very good condition.
    Case: Shows signs of wear, but not major. Has clearly been polished during its life. Hippocampus inscription is wearing thin.

So given that the Omega database says stainless steel and I have only seen those markers on steel versions, is it possible that the watch was plated after leaving Omega? I know the database is far from complete. Are there any enthusiast managed databases which might have more info?

I am considering this purchase, unless there are some major red flags I have missed.
    But mostly I am asking here to gain knowledge.

Thanks in advance!

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg s-l1600 (3).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600 (5).jpg s-l1600 (6).jpg s-l1600 (7).jpg s-l1600 (8).jpg s-l1600 (9).jpg s-l1600 (10).jpg s-l1600.jpg
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 12, 2017

Looks correct, unfortunately the case is pretty beat up and polished, probably going to see the brass peak through on the edges after the shine wears off.

Case is clearly marked 20 MICRONS, which is quite thin.

Not something I'd pay more than $275-$300, if its been serviced.

3. Edward53 Jun 13, 2017

Something tells me it's going to be priced at a lot more than that....

4. OrangeKenny Jun 16, 2017

Went for $375 USD