Forums Latest Members

Need some help on 1970s? constellation

1. dingy0123 Aug 13, 2015

Hi I have had this what is left to me by my grandfather it seems to be in very clean condition and I was wondering if I could have any info on it thank you

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Aug 13, 2015

Hello and welcome.
    Its great to see people cherishing heirlooms.

Your watch is an authentic "c-shape" constellation. Called "c" because the lugs kind of look like a C when the watch is on its side (last photo).

At some point, the dial has been repainted/repaired (what we call a 'redial'). This reduces its collector value, but not its sentimental value.

If you plan on wearing it, we'd suggest getting it serviced & oiled. WIthout regular servicing (say every 5 years), the oil dries up, and using the watch can damage the movement.

We will be able to give you more info if you can get photos of the inside of the watch.

dingy0123 likes this.
  3. dingy0123 Aug 14, 2015

Many thanks for your reply I know he had it serviced about 1 and a half years ago because it has a invoice for the service. What makes you think it's a redial?

4. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Aug 14, 2015

To me, the star looks misaligned (wonky; it should have a point straight through the vertical crosshair) and the text at the top looks too close together with the applied Omega lettering

5. dingy0123 Aug 14, 2015

Is it not a possibility that's these two things where removed or fell off during the service and stuck back incorrectly I have seen repainted and restored dials before and this just looks to clean under a loupe. And once again many thanks for the replies.

6. Difeer Aug 14, 2015

I agree with the rest that this is a redial. The placement and font of the texts are wrong. Dial doesn't pass the MOY test. Regarding the wonky star, I think the problem might lie with the crosshair. You can see that the crosshair doesn't intersect the omega logo at the middle as well.

7. dingy0123 Aug 14, 2015

Thanks for your reply I'm getting a good education here on constellations . I know the movemnt is original and the case what type of value does this redial take away. Thanks

8. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Aug 14, 2015

I don't think you can put a numeric value on it, but it makes it unappealing to a collector so you could say a reduction of 100%, but it depends on who wants to buy it. A casual eBay browser looking for a vintage watch will probably not care about a lot of the things we do.

9. dingy0123 Aug 14, 2015

100%? Reduction so that means it worthless not going to believe that for one minute. Regards

10. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Aug 14, 2015

That's not what I said. I said it all depends on who you're selling to. I wouldn't want it so it literally has no worth to me. Someone else might love it. Someone who isn't one of the collectors who use this site and want and value originality.

11. dingy0123 Aug 14, 2015

Oh I see lol yeah that is very true I would never sell it anyway but it's always good to get some info on watches you own. Once again thanks for your help and knowledge I look forward to using this forum more

12. italy1861 Aug 14, 2015

Hands look wrong too. Luminous inserts but, none on hour markers..

13. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Aug 14, 2015

MOY doesn't apply to C shape Connies.

Value? Reduces by a third to half. Have a look at Desmond's constellation blog spot (on my phone, so can't link to it, but a quick google will find it) and you can see the redial issues. Fonts all wrong, from memory C Connies shouldn't ever have crosshairs. Automatic is too close to omega, etc, etc. to spot redials you need to VERY closely examine, learn the fonts, etc.

14. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Aug 14, 2015

I presume it has (or should have) a caliber 564, 24-jewel adjusted movement? And might be from the mid-to late-1960's? The watch presents well as an heirloom, but as stated a collector would likely not be interested in it for the refinished dial, replacement hands, and worn and polished case.
    Nice to see it on a bracelet instead of a leather strap (although I think it could look smashing on a leather strap). Would the 5-row beads-of-rice bracelet be original or should it have 7-rows?

15. Difeer Aug 14, 2015

I always thought they do because I thought I have seen some examples that seem to fulfil the MOY test. Always nice to learn something new. Is there a standardised placement of the MOY for C shape connies?

16. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Aug 14, 2015

Not sure. Check Desmond's blog.

17. Hijak Aug 26, 2015

For the OP, here is a picture of an origional C-cased Constellation for reference...

image.jpg

bigdubnick likes this.