Need some help from vintage Heuer Carrera experts

Hey everyone.

A co-worker took this watch in trade 20 years ago for some work he did. He'd like to sell it and asked me to help but I don't know much about vintage Carrera chronographs outside of what I found online, so I'm turning to the wider community here on OF in hopes of getting some more experienced opinions.

The dial is clearly refinished. The chapter ring has wear. Otherwise I think the watch is correct:

Carrera 45
Reference 3647 N
Heuer-Leonidas caliber 92 column wheel movement
Carrera steel case
I believe the hour/minute hands and sub dial hands are correct but the chrono second hand is a replacement

There may be other issues with the watch but I don't really know enough about these vintage Heuers to asses it as well as I'd like to.

Please feel free to share your thoughts on the condition, issues and authenticity of this watch here. If you would like to give me your opinion on fair market value, (which I would appreciate,) please PM me rather than post them here because public valuations are not permitted on the forums.

Thanks all.

heuer 001.JPG heuer 002.JPG heuer 003.JPG heuer 004.JPG heuer 005.JPG heuer 006.JPG heuer 007.JPG heuer 008.JPG heuer 009.JPG

Oof. Case and movement look genuine but the case is really battered and may have been polished at some point; I don't think the hands are good though - any of them. I think this is more of a parts watch than having much value sold as a whole

Hour and minute may be legit. Movement and case/caseback do have value but I assume it will be something like EUR 1.000-1.500

Thank you @abrod520 and @Mark020. I hoped I would get some good advice here and wasn't disappointed.

I thought the case was unpolished but will defer to abrod520's opinion.

I'll keep this post updated and wait for some more thoughts from other forum members but I think the consensus is that it's not one of the better examples of the Carrera.

The heuer print on the dial is suspect
No it isn't -- it's absolutely horrid!

I think the H M and subdial hands are OK, but is that a replacement crown? Looks a little thick to me.

Here is a 3647S for comparison
3647S-2m.jpg

No it isn't -- it's absolutely horrid!

I think the H M and subdial hands are OK, but is that a replacement crown? Looks a little thick to me.

Yeah, the printing looks like it was done by hand but truthfully I've seen dials much worse. I think whoever did this one actually tried to do a good job.

The crown is unmarked and I read that some of these had unmarked crowns, but thickness or diameter wise I'm not certain if it's correct.

Yeah, the printing looks like it was done by hand but truthfully I've seen dials much worse. I think whoever did this one actually tried to do a good job.
Of replicating a 1950s pre-Carrera ....

The crown is unmarked and I read that some of these had unmarked crowns, but thickness or diameter wise I'm not certain if it's correct.
AIUI unmarked is correct for that serial number. My 3647 above is a 72xxx serial with an unmarked crown, later than this 66xxx example. Again AIUI, the following 7753s all had signed crowns that were distinctly thicker.

BTW, if you do buy it for parts I am in need of a 3647 pusher. Pretty please.

Of replicating a 1950s pre-Carrera ....

I noticed that too. It seemed like an odd thing to do. I'm also curious to know what happened to the dial to warrant repainting to that extent.

AIUI unmarked is correct for that serial number. My 3647 above is a 72xxx serial with an unmarked crown, later than this 66xxx example. Again AIUI, the following 7753s all had signed crowns that were distinctly thicker.

Please pardon my ignorance, what does AIUI stand for?

Please pardon my ignorance, what does AIUI stand for?
As I Understand It.

IOW I have not held in my hands any Carreras other than my own to be able to make expert comparisons.

As I Understand It.

Thanks. I thought it stood for some vintage Heuer designation.

IOW I have not held...

Uhhhh...Just kidding, I know that one :thumbsup:

Uhhhh...Just kidding, I know that one :thumbsup:

Of course, The Isle Of Wight annual Round the Island yacht race ....

.... haven't done that one.

Of course, The Isle Of Wight annual Round the Island yacht race ....

.... haven't done that one.

Um...yeah that's right! Isle Of Wight was exactly what I was thinking :unsure:

So is it fair to say that this particular example falls far short of others that have come up for sale? It's the difference between telling my co-worker to hold onto the watch for another 20 years, or tell him to post it for sale and get what he can.

Unmarked crown is correct for low serials.

This is really a project watch. Just sell off

Pic of my 57k 1st series 3647

upload_2023-9-7_8-8-0.jpeg

Unmarked crown is correct for low serials. This is really a project watch. Just sell off
Pic of my 57k 1st series 3647

Thanks for your help @Mark020. It really is like night and day between yours and my co-workers watch.

I've suggested an asking price of $2000 CAD as a starting point and he's ok with that.

Or perhaps put it on eBay and maybe he is lucky

Or perhaps put it on eBay and maybe he is lucky

He'd prefer to keep it local and avoid dealing with people online. Ebay is a mess now especially with their six month return privilege. Facebook Marketplace is an option but in my experience, lots of nickel-and-dimers on there.

I cant get past that horrible redial ...

I haven't bothered to ask if old stock dials are available for these and if so, how prohibitively expensive are they?