Forums Latest Members

Need some guidance on first Omega purchase

1. josephp May 28, 2019

Hey guys, I'm brand new to the forum and glad I found this place. I've been looking at this 44.25mm watch for several months now and it's my favorite one I've looked at out of all the Omega's however we all know they're quite large. I have a 16cm wrist and some have told me this would look OK down to a 14mm but I'm curious of your thoughts? I don't particularly like the other speedy racing watches which is why I am seriously considering this one. The band isn't sized to my wrist so it's a bit lose but do you think it may be too large or does it even matter?

Thanks in advance!

20190225_135236.jpg

superfly likes this.
  2. janw23 May 28, 2019

Preference is everything in this hobby. So my opinion should be totally meaningless to you if the watch speaks to you :). But since you asked!

Personally, I think a 44 mm / 15mm thick watch on a 6.3" wrist looks off-putting, it's far too loud - there's no way for that slab of steel on your wrist to blend into your general appearance, unless you are literally a race car driver. I also think it will be uncomfortable for every day wear, especially if you wear it all day near the edge of the wrist.

If I were getting a Speedmaster for that wrist, I'd be going for a Speedmaster Reduced, 38mm Automatic, Trilogy or a Pro.

Edited May 28, 2019
    apsm100 likes this.
  3. SG90 May 28, 2019

Just based off that one picture, for me it looks a bit large on your wrist, like you really want others to notice it - and to the gen pop, they will just think ‘wow, that’s a big watch!’
    However it may look better at another angle, and you may just love it so much it doesn’t matter.
    We can’t really make that decision for you.

4. steelfish May 28, 2019

It's all very personal this, but I have a 17.1 cm wrist and wear the older 9300 speedy. I've got quite a flat wrist so for me I feel that it just fits. Mine is on strap also, which also makes it look a little smaller than the bracelet that I rarely wear.

Depends what kind of look you're going for also. Make sure you get someone to take a pic of your wrist at normal standing distance - that will help you decide if it looks right versus the close up shot that always emphasis the size.

5. boraxman May 28, 2019

Too big.

6. durri70 May 28, 2019

Too big for my taste, I’ll go for reduced 38 mm

7. mmrols May 28, 2019

Tighten up that strap and I don't think it looks too big. I was used to smaller cases and then pulled the trigger on a Speedmaster Moonwatch. I was thinking it was too big, but after a little time getting used to it, it's no big deal. Other watches seem small to me now by comparison.

8. pianomankd May 28, 2019

Yuuuuuuuuuuuge.

44mm too big!

9. Dohnut May 28, 2019

It doesn’t matter.

Your wrist, your money, your choice... do what you want.

10. AntonisCy May 29, 2019

i like it. But then again i am a fan of big watches.

11. flw history nerd May 29, 2019

If you like the way it looks on your wrist, and it's comfortable for all-day wear, then go for it.

12. Evitzee May 29, 2019

Don't let strangers tell you if it is right or not, only you can decide that.

13. josephp May 29, 2019

Thanks everyone. This is my first big watch purchase so I want to have the proper etiquette with wearing it. I'm no expert so I wanted to seek out some guidance.

14. tmilnthorp May 29, 2019

I think it looks good!

Always look in front of a mirror or take a picture from further away. I know we all love to take quick cell phone snaps to look back before making a purchase, as it's hard to remember what it looked like in the store. However, the effective focal length of a cell phone is somewhere around 35mm, which when placed close to your watch will make it look larger relative to your wrist.

That said I echo the sentiments of everyone else. If you love it - buy it!

15. tmilnthorp May 29, 2019

Here's a quick example for you on my 45.5 Planet Ocean (a very large watch both in diameter and thickness).

Here's a closeup version. My wrist looks like a toothpick!

IMG_20190529_102358.jpg

But if you back up the camera, you can see it wears much smaller than the first photo would lead you to believe. I have 17.6 cm wrists for reference.

IMG_20190529_102521.jpg

16. Vega Mike May 29, 2019

Judging from the photo the watch does look somewhat big on your wrist. I think you should go back to the AD and try it on again and compare how it wears on your wrist against a smaller speedy. If it still appeals to you, then that should give you the confidence to go ahead and buy it!

17. mjb May 29, 2019

It looks a big large to me, but like everyone else said, you only need to make one person happy: you.