Forums Latest Members

Need Some Expert/enthisiast Input.. Blue Co-axial Deville.

1. Superdoc Sep 20, 2012

Hey group - It's been so long I had to sign up again!

- I'm struggling with a choice between the Hour Vision Blue
    and the DeVille coaxial chronometer blue -

Both have the 8500movement
    Both are 41mm
    Both are pretty spectacular - but the Hour Vision has an MSRP of 1000$ more....

Is there more to the picture here?

I have an Hour Vision RG - and love it, but don't find that the side of the case really adds anything to it...

Anyway - would love some opinions and some insight on the differences...

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 20, 2012

The Hour Vision's dial IMO is a lot more spectacular than the plain De Ville, the dial furniture and the outer track that runs around the dial edge is brilliantly crafted, as is the date window which looks rather plain on the regular De Ville. I really love that Hour Vision dial, it reminds me a bit of the Grand Lux dials of the 1950s with their stepped pie-pan edges.

43133412103001-30.jpeg 43113412103001-30.jpeg

Carl, MKelley and astrosfan like this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 20, 2012

They are both nice , I don't like the hands, not formal enough.

I prefer the DeVille coaxial chronometer blue

MKelley likes this.
  4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 20, 2012

BTW, post the pics of the Hour Vision RG, I like those a lot!

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 20, 2012

Not formal enough but are they the right length? ::rimshot::

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 20, 2012

Omega says so.:D

7. ulackfocus Sep 20, 2012

If you have an Hour Vision already go for the De Ville.

Yeah, but does Hoi say so? That's the real question!

8. Wetworks Sep 20, 2012

I say the Hour Vision, in a landslide.

dsio likes this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 20, 2012

Those Hour Vision rings look like something on an Invicta :p

10. Superdoc Sep 20, 2012

I have to admit, that based on those photos it's no contest - But the Co-axial dial is much more alive than it seems in the photos
    However I have never seen them side by side... I thought that it was the same blue - but I'm not positive..

Hopefully an expert can chime in -

I'll get the RG HV photos up when I can..

11. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Sep 20, 2012

The Hour Vision also has the association with Daniel Craig and ORBIS, the eye charity. This may account for the slightly higher price, plus you'll be doing your good deed for the day!

12. Superdoc Sep 20, 2012

Yes - I actually like that ... now just have to convince my accountant that I can write it off as a charitable expense...

- I didn't get too far with him explaining that the Omega "Doctor's Watch" was a piece of medical equipment and therefore a business expense...

But Chris, Is it the same case (minus the side view)? same Dial shade? or is there some other difference that I don't see...

13. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Sep 20, 2012

Haha, if you manage to pull it off, you'll bring joy to watch lovers everywhere!

I think the cases are fundamentally the same - obviously the crystal case sides will be more difficult to produce than a solid steel middle case, but the shape certainly seems the same. Not sure regarding the dial colour, not seen both side by side - the Hour Vision is a very rich blue and is gorgeous in the flesh :thumbsup:

14. Tyrwhitt Sep 20, 2012

I'm afraid you won't be putting any extra cash into the charities coffers if you buy the Hour Vision. I tried one on in an Omega boutique in London and the chap said that Omega have already donated $2m to ORBIS and no money from individual watch sales go to the charity.
    BTW amazing watch, think it will be my next purchase.
    Regards
    Adam

15. ulackfocus Sep 20, 2012

Is there a difference in height though? That's a concern when trying to slide a watch under a cuff.

16. Whirling Sep 20, 2012

I have seen both of these watches at my local Omega Boutique. Dial-wise, I love the HV for all the reasons stated above. However, I don't feel great about the transparent case inserts. Aesthetically, I feel they don't look clean. Practically speaking, they can only make the watch more prone to damage. Finally, I, at least, couldn't actually see anything through them.

I am kind of cynical bastard, perhaps more than "kind of," but I wondered if the case inserts were mean to lower the costs of the solid gold models.

Still, I do love that dial on the HV...not a huge fan of Roman numerals, except in very specific situations, such as the Richard Lange. Plus, Omega wouldn't sell watches with those clear sides if it were to injury prone.

As for the SuperDoc screen name, I am very careful not to tell anybody that I am a doctor...God knows what troubles could ensue... :) Seriously, I have been very tempted by the Omega Doctor's Watch museum piece.

Regarding whether you can claim it as a business expense: sure, you can claim anything you want, but the IRS might balk, charge you the tax you owe, and a small fine (10-20% I think, but not sure). The biggest risk is that you don't want to bring an audit down on your head over a relatively small savings.

As for whether it would be a winning deduction, remember the IRS isn't in a position to say what equipment you purchase for your business or not. They can claim it's not a business expense if you don't use it for work...taking pulses. You can't deduct it just as bling that makes you look like a successful doctor. Also, if they found that you were using it outside of work--extensively--they might state you could only claim part of it as a business expense...

If you were to claim it as a business expense, the IRS challenges it, and you win the appeal, you would do a tremendous service for all watch-loving doctors in the U.S.A. because you would be setting a precedent. We could all buy watches with pulsometers with pre-tax dollars. In fact, you might get Omega to agree to pay your legal and CPA fees for the fight.

Regards,
    Jon

17. Superdoc Sep 21, 2012

ha...as a Canadian, I don't have to worry about the IRS...I always hated him in the WWF...

of course, all the tax talk was just a joke...I would expect that you didn't think I was serious, but then again, in the written word, innotations of sarcasm can't be implied..

back to more serious matters... you've seen them both side by side...is it the same Blue on the Dial?

the Superdoc name is more of a nickname that I have used...I'm also a Superman enthusiast...it does not reflect my opinion of my medical prowess

18. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Sep 21, 2012

I don't believe so, both have a sapphire display case back - neither are exactly slim on the wrist (especially compared to a vintage dress watch), but it shouldn't be too much of a problem with a shirt cuff

19. rbird7282 Sep 21, 2012

Hour Vision by a mile. The De Ville is nice, but a little too plain and I don't care for roman numerals

20. Whirling Sep 21, 2012

I knew you were joking about the taxes, but there are some possibilities there. :)

You will hate me, but really only inspected the Hour Vision closely, so I can't confirm that the blue is identical on both dials. As always, get the one that you most love the most now, then get the other next year.

Regards,
    Jon