Forums Latest Members
  1. ice.see Apr 13, 2020

Hi this is my first post here, can I get some advice on this watch, is it all original? and how much would this be around the market?
    looking forward for your knowledgeable advice.

Thank you so much!

Ice See

m48468627002_1.jpg m48468627002_2.jpg m48468627002_4.jpg
    Edited Apr 13, 2020
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 13, 2020

Are you looking to buy or looking to sell ?

Any better photos of the dial.
    Would be nice to see inside case back and the movement for a full market appraisal.

Dan S and DaveK like this.
  3. ice.see Apr 13, 2020

I'm considering to purchase it online

here are some photos of the watch, no photos showing the movement but im asking the seller if he can provide one.

m48468627002_6.jpg m48468627002_9.jpg
  4. Radiumpassion Apr 13, 2020

If you are paying premium for that double signature dial I would like
    too see better pictures of the dial, and maybe a extract from the archives:)

5. ice.see Apr 13, 2020

Well still requesting for some other photos, but are some showing the dial.:)

m48468627002_8.jpg
  6. Dan S Apr 13, 2020

This is not a free appraisal service, but a community of collectors, so if you are more forthcoming, I think that members will likely be more interested in helping you. Perhaps you can introduce yourself and provide more comprehensive information. What else do you know about the watch? What is the asking price? Are you buying from a private seller or dealer? What research have you done about the watch for yourself? Etc.

lindo, Shabbaz and X350 XJR like this.
  7. ice.see Apr 13, 2020

Hi Dan, sorry for this, I am not here for some appraisal service, I just want a community who are knowledgeable on this area who can give me honest advice. Im just new in this vintage omega watch collecting, hopefully I'll own my first vintage omega soon, but thank you for guiding me!
    well so far here is the detail, asking price is 800 usd from a private seller. Communication is a bit hard because its from japan. tried reading about the Turler omega but Im not sure what reference it is, im just waiting for the seller details for this. so far the photos are the one I have posted.

here is the site I've found regarding the Turler omega but not sure if its from the same reference.
    https://www.timeline.watch/watch/1967-omega-seamaster-turler-ref-166-003/

Cheers!

Dan S likes this.
  8. Shabbaz Apr 13, 2020

Turler was a large retailer and put their name on the watches they sold. It's not a special model of omega.

You can find the modelnumber on the inside of the caseback. The serialnumber on the movement. Looking at the coathanger S in Seamaster it's a early 60's or 50's seamaster.

Crown is probably a replacement and a nice bonus is the BOR bracelet.

Edit: bracelet is maybe not omega if i look at the clasp.

Edited Apr 13, 2020
    lindo and Dan S like this.
  9. ice.see Apr 13, 2020

thank you for this info. would you think buying it for 800 usd is a good price? considering the movement is also all original?

Edited Apr 13, 2020
    STANDY likes this.
  10. MikeMan2727 Apr 13, 2020

Turler is just a jewelry store based in Switzerland. It is the equivalent of seeing Tiffany & Co. on the dial in the US or Meister, Beyer, etc.

It was not uncommon for luxury jewelers to double sign their watches. Some people do place a small premium on these watches, depending on the reference.

ice.see likes this.
  11. Shabbaz Apr 13, 2020

If you look at watches 24/7 it's not a good price.

ice.see likes this.
  12. Shabbaz Apr 13, 2020

And always count in the costs of a service! Keep this in mind.

13. Dan S Apr 13, 2020

I agree that the bracelet is aftermarket, unfortunately. The piece looks legit to me at first glance and the dial is nice. However, the hands seem damaged, and the case has unfortunately been polished and prepped for sale, which is common in Japan in my experience. Overall it's not a bad piece, but the price would be too high for me given what I can see. The Turler connection is interesting, but only adds a small amount of value for most collectors.

14. ice.see Apr 13, 2020

yeah true that is one thing to consider, but to service a vintage watch approx. how much will it cost for an overhaul?

15. Shabbaz Apr 13, 2020

Depends on your location and the availability of watchmakers. A service for me without any parts replaced is EUR 225 for a caliber 565.

16. ice.see Apr 13, 2020

oh I see, If given a chance to negotiate how much should I ask, or should I look for another piece instead?

17. ice.see Apr 13, 2020

ok, its sure really is a bit pricey considering parts aren't included.

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 13, 2020

And welcome to the world of vintage watches.

Have you seen a watch movement.
    Who are you going to get to pull every part of a vintage watch apart and examine, clean. And then put it back together, re-oiling it then checking it runs as good as it left the shop 50 years ago over several days. :whistling::whistling:

wilderbeast, ice.see and GordanDaniel like this.
  19. ZIELSZIEK Apr 13, 2020

I can't provide any Omega experitse, and you've got some of the best people on OF here, kind enough to answer your questions, but what I can provide is some personal insight. My first watch ever was vintage and it taught me some expensive lessons.
    When you were asked to introduce yourself you should have mentioned your standing to watches in general.
    What else do you own? Maybe a new piece would be better suited for you.
    Is this your first vintage watch? If the answer is yes, going for an Omega isn't the smartest ideea.
    What is your exact budget? If ~ 200 euro is expensive for a service to you then again, getting an Omega isn't the best ideea.
    Also, servicing takes some time. My Watchmaker's wait period is one month, at the moment of this post(He's not that busy atm)And that's one month provided no parts are required or I acquire them prior to sending the watch in.
    Whenever I consider a vintage watch, service is the first concern. I'd recommend getting to know a watchmaker first. Watches are a niche of collecting. It's not like getting a car serviced, a Watchmaker might even refuse to work on certain movements. I doubt that would be the case here.
    There are many watches that are cheaper to service that provide what you are looking for. Also, study the marketplace here. That should give you a good way of how a vintage piece should be sold and what you're getting.

STANDY likes this.
  20. ice.see Apr 13, 2020

Thank for advice, well i own few seikos and an oris 65, i’ve had some vintage seikos back then (bullhead, grand seiko) services for that aren’t that expenssive. And i guess you’re right i need to find a watchmaker who can passionately restore or service a vintage watch piece, there are some reputable ones here in my country but they are known for servicing vintage seiko’s dont about other watches.

ZIELSZIEK likes this.