Forums Latest Members
  1. PatrickJ Apr 20, 2015

I am trying to study font variations in the OMEGA and AUTOMATIC lettering in Geneve models with date from 1967 to 1974.

As a novice I have looked on the net and not had much luck apart from Google images.

Since looking at the thread for newbies on the constalation can anyone direct me to similar information for the geneve and it's history in the late 1960s and early to mid 70s.

Thank you.

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 20, 2015

Hmmm, geneves were not as highly sought after, so I don't know of a dedicated website like there are for constellations and speedies. I think I would start searching threads here for discussions of geneves? That will hopefully also give you lots of photos.

Make sure you write up your research for us all.

3. SeanO Apr 20, 2015

you'll be lucky to find anything substantial.

EBAY searches of sold items with a focus on descriptions, sales from reputable vendors with descriptions along with AJTT and the Omega online database could provide answers that would support your questions regarding the font variations. I doubt you'll get anything definitive tho'.

4. Blaise Apr 20, 2015

I would start with Omega database too. If you can get a copy of the 'Journey through time' that can be of great help too. Those are safe sources, ebay....not so much

PatrickJ likes this.
  5. PatrickJ Apr 20, 2015

Interesting point I have seen in excess of about 80 geneve dials from 1967 to about 1973 on Google. At least 90% had a similar font to mine pic with red background. The second pic is off the net and the third pic is from a forum member (hope he does not mind me posting it) A handful (10%)of them had the more standard straight lined thinner non exaggerated font particularly at M and G.

Wonder if they are both correct? But struggling to find any good research info will keep trying.

It is not so much about my watch now more interested in quality control, third party contractors doing dials if they did and model variation and quality in the period. The little exercise on constellation from yesterday got me thinking.

20150410_223436.jpg Omega Auto 552 1968 34 30 MM 03.jpg IMG_5778[1].JPG
  6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 20, 2015

Here are a series of photos from AJTT focusing on the Omega and Automatic. Hope they help. First photo each time is macro of the word/dial, then a larger one so you can see the model details.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

PatrickJ likes this.
  7. PatrickJ Apr 20, 2015

Wow that helps.Thank you.

Anyone else? I am not looking for you all to do homework for me I can do it. Just need a compass to head in correct direction

8. PatrickJ Apr 20, 2015

I will be searching for high res as possible omega adverts for geneve. Found some on old omegas.com but not high resolution enough. If any of you have original magazines or good examples from net. please post. I will keep looking on net from now.

In pursuit of the truth.

Thanks guys.

Noobie novice

9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Apr 20, 2015

Here is a manual wind Geneve dial from a Cal 613 parts donor watch I bought. Whilst it is in a sorry state, it was an original, unrefinished dial. The holes are where some idiot tried to remove it without undoing the dial screws so it was stuck on with dial dots. ::facepalm2::
    Geneve.jpg

One thought that has occurred to me is that different dial makers may have had slightly different fonts. This one was made by Someco.

PatrickJ likes this.
  10. tamura Apr 20, 2015

Geneve 165.002
    omegageneve 1.jpg
    omegageneve 2.jpg

11. ulackfocus Apr 20, 2015

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 20, 2015

PatrickJ likes this.
  13. ulackfocus Apr 20, 2015

Yeah, it's a badge of honor for some of us. You just aren't a somebody until you've been given the boot by TimeZone and WUS.

PatrickJ likes this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 20, 2015

Even cooler badge as it is written 7494 times :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

15. PatrickJ Apr 20, 2015

Dennis is notorious, good for you Dennis!

16. ulackfocus Apr 20, 2015

Yep, that's me - I just can't let a schmuck be a schmuck. I'm like a religious fanatic but for watches - I either convert them or try to kill them. :p

PatrickJ likes this.
  17. PatrickJ Apr 20, 2015

Reharding Dennis watchuseek post.

The fractionally exaggerated M on Omega in mine is similar to Kyle, Jun CAJAYON and Milhaixp watch. Only Tamura geneve. Has less exaggerated M in Omega.

18. PatrickJ Apr 20, 2015

Old adverts in good resolution are hard to come by. Will continue the search

19. PatrickJ Apr 22, 2015

Much appreciated for this. I could never of found this, especially with enlarged fonts. They are variations in even what is in the magazines. One of the square faced omegas has a slight drop in the M in omega. Many examples on the net of this betWeen different models from late 60s to early 70s.

20. PatrickJ Apr 22, 2015

I had a beer with the watch maker from this forum Stefan today in London. If any other members out there from the forum in London, UK or any place in the world we could all meet up for a future drinks. Why not?

It looks like the Geneve will stay with me. In Stefan's judgement it is original. He looked at it with the loop. It appears to have original lume, the dial colouring is consistent even around edges no marking signs, the sunburst finish consistent. The larger M is not a worry hopefully, as many geneve from google net pics from same era had this as well. Some models maybe from same or similar era did not have exaggerated M also, but could be different reference number older or younger year by small margin. Apparently the geneve being a more budget model may of had dial done by an authorised contractor like Singer when it was originally created.

Thank you all for help on this post and the original post ( Any Ideas? ). We all thought it was a redial at first, so many members changed their minds or at least had doubts after many examples had been found matching my exact dial.

Bye the way the Seamaster has an original dial as well.

IF ANY NEW MEMMYERS ARE READING TAKE NOTE. I did some homework but it was not enough. Had I had the time again I would of done much more, less speed more haste.

20150404_000335.jpg
    tamura and noelekal like this.