Forums Latest Members
  1. mozambique Oct 12, 2014

Guys,

Could do with your input on the supposedly vintage dauphine hands on ebay below:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151439242101?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

My recently bought 2998-6 has missing lume on the minute hand........some questions:

1. The minute hand in the ebay ad is described as being the speedmaster correct length (as opposed to shorter seamaster version) - the minute hand looks slightly shorter (i.e. does not quite reach minute marks on dial) - looks okay?

2. Pics of 2998-6's that I have seen typically have the triangular hr hand lume - was this standard, or did some 2998-6's come with the 'straight line' lume?

3. Price - bloody high, does this seem typical?

4. Re-luming with tinted lume to give vintage patina look - any thoughts on how much of this goes on with supposedly original dials and hands? For my 2998 this would presumably be the cheapest (?) option at the cost of ending up with a slightly doctored end result.

Thanks in advance!

2. ulackfocus Oct 12, 2014

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2014

Yes hands can be either way.

As Achim is a member here I am sure he can fill you in further on his sale. You can also PM him. watchyouwant

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 12, 2014

I see many hands with straight line lume, both new and old. I cannot be sure if a straight line lume is vintage or NOS replacement, or even "vintage NOS".

I have yet to see triangular lume in NOS or vintage NOS so I prefer it when buying a 2998.

personally i prefer the hour hand to go right to the minute track. Some do not quite reach, while the seamaster ones are an obvious substitute.

i think it's an area I need to look closely into.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 12, 2014

Its an interesting question as the use of the straight line vs triangle doesn't seem to be like X then Y but rather a mix for the duration.

6. mozambique Oct 13, 2014

Guys thanks for the response. NOS, vintage NOS, service replacements..............the permutations seem endless, which I guess adds to the intrigue. Funny, somehow you would think the Swiss would be very methodical in their use of parts and record keeping.

7. marturx Oct 13, 2014

Go for your alternative 4.

I also can vouch for Achims hands as I did bought one of his minute hands and it did fit my 2998 perfectly! As for his price, try to find those hands elsewhere if you can. It took me 2 years, and then Achim saved me at last. The dollars spent was easy to disregard.