Forums Latest Members

Need info on this Omega Star Wars watch I came across

1. RDSII Dec 9, 2020

I did a search on the internet and this forum and ran dry. I was hoping I could get insight about the watch. Maybe when it was made and worth. I am going to give it to my son for Christmas and would like to share some history about it.

Thanks

front.jpg back.jpg side.jpg
  2. SoyuzPilot Dec 9, 2020

Sorry, wish I could help. Great combination though, of Omega and Star Wars! Like it!

3. tyrantlizardrex Dec 9, 2020

Colour me suspicious.

4. ConElPueblo Dec 9, 2020

What is your own story? Where did you get it from?

...India? ;)

5. RDSII Dec 9, 2020

I am new to this Forum but I do like watches. I have a Rolex sub, Breitling Super avenger as well as some others that spark my interest. Always wanted to get an Omega moon watch. Picked this up from a friend in the business. So, I am in absorb mode and don’t have any background on Omega watches. No need to be suspicious.

Thanks

India?? do you think it is fake??

DaveK likes this.
  6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 9, 2020

Korea, case work is too nice for India. :D

Scarecrow Boat and ConElPueblo like this.
  7. Engee Dec 9, 2020

Hard to see how that would get the nod from either Omega or Lucasfilms.

8. neilfrancis Dec 9, 2020

I for one would love to know what the hive mind thinks of this. Is the dial original Omega? Is the watch an original Omega? With an overprinted original Omega dial? Can you get the back off and take pics of the movement and caseback? Yes reasons for suspicion are well founded, but it looks well done, and fun ( as implied above, it’s unlikely to have left any Omega factory like this, but still a conversation piece)

9. RDSII Dec 9, 2020

how do I get the back off safely?? is it threaded?

10. rob#1 Dec 9, 2020

Here’s my cushion dial Seamaster, with a slightly different case, from 1977.

I’m guessing that my dial doesn’t have the Star Wars logo because I’ve never seen the film ;)

C1D5B616-7122-4EDB-9442-A2C0D690919E.jpeg

SoyuzPilot likes this.
  11. simonsays Dec 9, 2020

No doubt it's a genuine Omega. Dial looks professionally done, I would guess by Omega. I have never seen one before, but the watch in question looks in fantastic condition.

Not a popular model or style so no great value for it normally, I don't think the Star Wars logo will add hugely to the pot. Perfect present for a fan though.

DaveK likes this.
  12. rob#1 Dec 9, 2020

There are a few contemporary Seamasters on Chrono 24 for around AU$1,000 - AU$1,400 - mine was a gift that cost a few hundred a decade or so ago. Not the most popular of models, but it’s certainly a fine piece of engineering in a nice thin case :thumbsup:.

13. tyrantlizardrex Dec 9, 2020

I have doubts about the legitimacy of the logo - either on this watch or elsewhere.

Lucasfilm have always had very strict rules about logo usage and combination with other items, even ones from the licensed property.

I've also never seen a co-branded Omega watch with the co-branded logo under an hour marker.

As I said, I'm suspicious.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 9, 2020

My theory is that any manufactured item which is unique is probably too good to be true.

The second printing on the dial looks to be high quality and it always possible that it was done by Omega. However, if that was the case, we would have seen more of them. Omega rarely, if ever, does one of’s.

Even the dials with the Middle Eastern royals were made in batches. Although the batches were quite small, we still see these on a fairly regular basis.

Not so for this Star Wars dial. If it were done in some commemoration of the movie, it probably would have an engraved back as a presentation to someone involved in the production.

The Force is not strong with this one, young Padawan.
    gatorcpa

15. simonsays Dec 10, 2020

Lucas films careful? It’s on everything from Monster munch to Toilet paper. Didn’t everything that moved (or didn’t) in the 70s have Starwars on it.

I don’t think it’s something where perceived extra value is attached. It’s more a fun item, like a Dominos Rolex(no one is faking those), so see no reason to be suspicious. Quality looks very good too.

You would need to remove the indices to print that dial. And it looks perfect. I think it was done at the factory.

Only one way to find out. Use the force.

To answer the OP's question on value, I think anywhere between $800- $1200 depending on how much you like it?

Edited Dec 10, 2020
    mountainunder and SoyuzPilot like this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 10, 2020

I agree - there's no trademark symbol that I can see, which I suspect there would be were it done in some official capacity.

17. simonsays Dec 10, 2020

I guess if it is there, it's under the hour hand, I really don't see much added value if it is official or redial. If his son likes it, the watch is in great condition. Great present!

If its as an investment piece then, unpopular model, dubious dial. I think it all depends on perspective.

18. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 10, 2020

If genuine (v unlikely IMO), £1K plus. If a redial (rather more likely) ~£400 at a guess. How lucky do you feel? An extract of the Omega Archives should describe the dial if it left the factory like that. But it's not cheap.

19. mountainunder Dec 10, 2020

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....
    The watch that was made.....

20. SoyuzPilot Dec 10, 2020

I should have perhaps been more helpful - I'm a fan of Star Wars and have my fair share of merch. I've never seen this logo on anything before. Lucasfilm did merchandise the xxxx out of this franchise and I know of around 20 different "official" watches but this is not one of them. But who knows, it may have been made up as a gift for someone or for some studio event. There was and is an awful lot of this going on that rarely comes onto the market. It certainly looks well done. I'd treasure it!

simonsays likes this.