Forums Latest Members
  1. pjhollenstein Aug 3, 2015

Dear Vintage Omega experts

I am new here on the forum and I hope someone here can help me!

I recently decided to buy an Omega Constellation 2652 with cal 354 and movement number 130XXXXX on eBay. The watch has a black dial with gold indices (see pictures). Unfortunately the decision to buy the watch may have been wrong. Shortly after the purchase a friend of mine, which knows a lot about vintage Omega watches, informed me that the dial on the watch is a redial, which makes the watch pretty much worthless.

Do the experts on this forum agree with the appraisal of my friend? I very much appreciate any comments and thoughts about the authenticity of the dial. I am sorry about the bad quality of the pictures, the watch is currently on hold at the shipping company, so I unfortunately only have the pictures from the original listing at hand.

Any help is much appreciated!

I thank you very much in advance,

Peter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 3, 2015

Sorry, your friend is correct, the dial has been poorly refinished with incorrect fonts.

3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 3, 2015

Agreed re the redial. I think your friend was exaggerating when suggesting the watch is "pretty much worthless". If he was serious, then he has much to learn about Constellations and the market.The general rule of thumb is, all things being equal, a redial will devalue a watch by around 30%. A bad redial probably more.

The case on your watch looks okay. Lugs still have definition and bezel chamfer is noticeable, and while there are no pics of case back and movement, if they are okay you still have a watch with some value.

Post-purchase regret is not a nice feeling, and is best prevented by boning up on the watch series you would like to purchase before you take the plunge.

Cheers

Desmond

4. pjhollenstein Aug 7, 2015

Thank you very much for the fast and insightful answer, Desmond!