Forums Latest Members
  1. Aluurchin Dec 6, 2017

Dear OF members,

First of all, thanks for the extensive knowledge shared here. I have learned a lot through reading your inputs and I have landed myself with an 145.012-67 (delivered on May 1968). :))

This is my first vintage watch and I have some interesting (or maybe not) questions:
    1. When I’ve pull out the crown to adjust time, I noticed that almost every turns I made, there seem to be a feeling of gap ( drop? Jump? Incomplete? Don’t know how to call it). The hour and minutes hand would jerk abit and then back to normal and continue with next turn. Is this normal? What could be the problem?
    2. I have a speedy apollo 11 cal 863 before purchasing 145.012-67. I noticed that For Apollo 11, I just need to turn it 18-20 turn and the power reserve will last me a good 24-30 hours. However, when I do 18-20 turns for 145.012-67, the power would last me around 10-12 hours only. What is the problem?
    3. I have tried to wind the crown till it stop but it won’t. The crown just kept going until my fingers hurt.. that’s about 125 turns and it still kept going.... why is it so? Is this related to my question above?
    4. The hesalite crystal got some smudge/ stain on it (Ref picture attached- located on second sub dial). I’ve tried rubbing it off using water and cloth but it won’t work. Any suggestions what can I do to get rid of it?

Thank you all for your valuable input. :)

97D9AA01-78E4-4E17-A51A-6212E4F0CADC.jpeg 71CC9B8F-95EB-42B7-8B59-33A2ECCAFB7E.jpeg
  2. stefman Dec 6, 2017

First of all, congrats on the fine watch you have there.

In my novice opinion:

The crown problem might need servicing, I wind my 145.012-67 about 25-30 times for a full wind and it stops. Get it serviced and not at Omega.

For the crystal, get poly watch and polish it. It'll look as good as new.

propervinyl and Aluurchin like this.
  3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Dec 6, 2017

Regarding the winding problem, it sounds like the mainspring is broken.
    Try rubbing the hesalite with a little toothpaste on a soft cloth.

sxl2004, propervinyl and Aluurchin like this.
  4. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Dec 6, 2017

Lovely Omega Speedmaster mate!... Maybe we need @Archer in on this one.::confused2::
    Calling Al!!!::popcorn::

Aluurchin likes this.
  5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 6, 2017

1 - Hard to say on this one - the setting mechanism may have a wheel with a broken or damaged tooth, or there may just be a tight spot when the cannon pinion turns. However that will be sorted when you send it in for service for #2...

2 - Mainspring is broken. Watch will need a full service with new mainspring.

3 - Same as #2.

4 - Polywatch or some other mild abrasive paste can remove defects in acrylic crystals - easy to do if on the outside, but if on the inside leave it to the watchmaker - see #2 for more information. ;)

Cheers, Al

Aluurchin likes this.
  6. Aluurchin Dec 6, 2017

Thank you guys for all the great inputs. I’ll probably look for a watchmaker these few days and get a quote... hopefully the cost is not high ;) just for my guideline, do you have a rough idea how much should a full overhaul and replacement cost if is done outside of Omega?

7. JB in Shaker Dec 6, 2017

Second the suggestion on Polywatch! Use just a little bit and I think you'll be pleased with the result.

Aluurchin likes this.
  8. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 6, 2017

Plan on $1,000.US +/- depending on how many parts need to be replaced. Make sure your watch-maker has an Omega parts account so that only genuine Omega replacement parts are used. Believe me it will be well worth your efforts and money.

Aluurchin likes this.
  9. Aluurchin Dec 6, 2017

Thank you all again for the quick response! This community is great :))

10. Davidt Dec 6, 2017

To service a Speedmaster? I'm not sure I've ever paid even half of that.

Aluurchin and MikiJ like this.
  11. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 6, 2017

I guess that depends on where you had your's serviced and wether or not it needed replacement parts.
    Otherwise: Good for you ::psy::

Aluurchin and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  12. Davidt Dec 6, 2017

Various places in U.K., STS being one. I have generally been ok regarding movement parts, but still, $1k seems like an awful lot.

Let's just say I'd budget £300-400 ($400-550) for a normal service with movement parts on top, but they're often not required.

MikiJ and Aluurchin like this.
  13. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Dec 7, 2017

A couple of years ago I contacted Nesbits to quote basic service for my 105.012-66. I was quoted a little over $1,000.US as per Omega servicing guidelines, parts extra. I ended up sending it to Govberg. Complete service and a few parts plus shipping was a little less than $1,000.US. Best of all: Manny did a terrific job :)

Aluurchin likes this.