Forums Latest Members

Need help with Seamaster Quartz (James Bond)

1. KMP Jul 23, 2015

Hi
    I have a 3 years old seamaster quartz, 2 weeks back it started skipping seconds (but was keeping time perfectly) and the obvious guess was Battery Replacement, when i took it to the dealer (they said they can only accept as stoppage complaint and service center will come back to me) has been with the authorized dealer for a week now and today they have come back telling me that the 3 year old Battery is fine but the watch needs repair such as electronic circuit board and some more spares which will cost me around $325. Obviously I first want to get the battery changed before i do anything as my gut feeling is that they are taking me for a ride.

I have read that I just cannot go to any other watch repair shop since Omega requires special tools and pressure sealing etc. even if the battery is replaced.

Can someone assist and shed some light on this situation

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 23, 2015

When you say it was skipping seconds but keeping time, if it was only advancing the seconds hand every 4 seconds, and advancing 4 seconds at a time, that is the EOL (End Of Life) indicator kicking in telling you that it needs a new battery. Once the battery drops below 1.3 volts (from 1.55 V) it will kick in the EOL function.

The battery being 3 years old is likely still not fine, so while it's possible that the circuit has a problem, something is not right with this story. It's impossible for me to say what the real situation is without seeing the watch in person and performing electrical testing on it, but you can get a whole new movement for $325 so again something here is off.

Omega is not your only option for repairs, and if you can find an independent watchmaker with an Omega account they will have all the equipment needed, and access to all the parts to do the job properly. No idea where you are located so giving recommendations is not easy, but I would be looking for a second opinion.

Cheers, Al

3. chickenman26 Jul 23, 2015

Maybe in this case, a shopping mall battery changer would have been a better option, or at least no worse. Remember the last time a similar story was posted here?
    ::popcorn::

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 23, 2015

Not sure they are ever a better option based on some of the watches that get brought to me after going to those places...

5. chickenman26 Jul 23, 2015

Right. I was half kidding there. But you're obviously thinking of the same possibility as me. Hope not.

6. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Jul 23, 2015

Errr I can see your new here but this guy I've quoted from is a watchmaker. He might be able to look at it for you but word on the street is he's very busy. Failing that you could try another I dependant but I wouldn't try a shopping mall booth if I were you.