Forums Latest Members

Need Help with my Zenith...

1. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 11, 2013

I seem to have bad luck with my vintage Zenith watches. The first one I bought was returned due to seller remorse.

The second one was posted here a few months back:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/incoming-a-mumbai-special.6354/

Just got a call from the watchmaker, saying that it needs a new balance shaft and they can't find one anywhere. This is a older (1920's) Zenith "A" movement, which may be a early cal. 12.4, I'm not sure.

[​IMG]

Can anyone take a look and let me know? If you can turn me on to a source for the part, that would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance,
    gatorcpa

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 11, 2013

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 11, 2013

Actually, I have just checked Rossler's sketches of the movement and it looks like a N.V.S.I. The actual model is preceded by the ligne size so if it is 12'" then the model is 12'" N.V.S.I.

Nobody actually knows what N.V.S.I stands for as the records were lost eons ago. You might have to go down an alternative route and buy a pocket watch from which you could take the balance or you might strike lucky and find one on a European eBay site. Failing that, you could try contacting Elizabeth (a French eBay seller who finds a lot of old Zenith parts from, God knows where) Her web site is kalyanediffusion89.com)

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 11, 2013

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 11, 2013

I don't know if you have a copy of Rossler, but the movement is definitely a N.V.S.I - I'll try to photograph the picture.

If it is 12'" then the movement was made between 1906 and 1910 (70,200 made) The serial number would put yours at 1929 so should not be 12'". The N.V.S.I.s made that correspond with 1929 would be 10 1/2'" which is a 10 1/2-2, 13'" (13-1 for a Lepine and 13-2T for a savonette [which I don't think it will be because the "T" means a mobile stud on later models, so I presume does on the older ones too]) 15'" (15-1 for a Lepine and 15-2 for a savonette) or 16'" (16-1 for a Lepine and 16-2 for a savonette)

I think the chances of a 12-4 being the same are quite slim but I would be happy for you if they are the same item

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 11, 2013

No, I don't have a copy of Rossler. A picture is always worth at least 1,000 words.

I know that there was a series of these NVSI movements in different sizes. I think the "NVSI" has something to do with the snail regulator. There was another NVI in the Ranft Pink Pages which looks like a larger, pocketwatch version of my movement.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Zenith_20_5_NVI

I'll need to get the watch back in hand and measure the movement again. I haven't seen it in over 2 months.

I heard back from a parts supplier that thinks it is a 12"' based on the similarity to the one in the WuS thread, but now I'm not so sure. He said the 12.4 staff is not compatible, and that the balance wheel would need to be bored out to fit. Not a good solution, IMO.

He thinks maybe he can get one for the NVSI between $35 to $65. Ouch!
    gatorcpa

7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Oct 11, 2013

Hopefully, these two photos from Rossler show what you might have and the difference between the 12-4 and the 12'" N.V.S.I.

12NVSI.jpg 13NVSI.jpg

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 11, 2013

Once I know what to look for...Bingo!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zenith-12-NVS-balance-staff-watch-movement-part-/271219119287Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zenith-ligne-13-cal-NVS-1-balance-staff-watch-part-/230424770102Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Now I need to check with the watchmaker next week. In the meantime, I think I'm going to pick it up anyway to do the measurement just in case.

Thanks much,
    gatorcpa