Forums Latest Members

Need help with identification on this Vintage watch Simon's

1. sryukon Aug 27, 2015

Hi I picked up this Simons 5300M watch and cant find much info on the web except that its a fine jewelry store that is still open and sells Rolex and Tudor. They must have had their own brand of watch's in the 40's or 50's? Here are some picks!

IMG_0218.jpg IMG_0213.jpg
  2. Canuck Aug 28, 2015

This is a bog stock generic Swiss movement behind a house brand dial. I thought it might be an A Schild movement of some description, but I was unable to identify it. Beneath the rim of the balance wheel, I suspect you will see a trade mark (maybe A S), and a calibre number. There may also be a three letter Swiss importer code in upper case block letters somewhere on the movement. If you can provide these clues, there may be a way to help. Failing that, we would need to see the front side of the movement with the dial off. I think I am safe in saying that the watch was not made by an internationally known manufacturer (i. e. Omega, Rolex, Longines) of quality brand watches.

dsio likes this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 28, 2015

Just another meh watch from the era.

4. Pvt-Public Aug 28, 2015

It looks like ROP on the balance cock, Rodania Watch Co. Maybe, maybe not.

5. Canuck Aug 28, 2015

Searching Mikrolisk, and ROP was used by two importers. Rodania, and Zone. Neither actually tells who made the watch. Searching Simon's yields zilch. Again, look for the maker's trade mark and calibre number under the rim of the "flywheel" (the balance wheel) will identify the calibre of the movement. This watch was assembled by a watch broker for Simon's, using an off the shelf movement, an off the shelf dial, and off the shelf case and hands. A frustrating search will not result in learning who actually "made" the watch. It is like the no-name products in your local grocery store. Generic, house brand, in other words (and please don't take offence), a "mongrel".

Geo! likes this.
  6. Geo! Aug 29, 2015

7. sryukon Aug 29, 2015

Hey that looks like it! I will get either better pics or the numbers off the movement. I new it was a mongrel but just didn't know if it was worth anything to anyone for parts or repair. It runs but not very well and needs service probably not worth it Thanks for all your help!!!!

8. Geo! Aug 29, 2015

It's a quality movement that should keep hood time if properly serviced!

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 29, 2015

Indeed I don't think a lot of people realize how many smallish brands there were back before the quartz crisis hit. Most of these were wiped out.

A. Schild made movements for so many of these smaller brands - they are like the ETA of their day. I would even argue they did more than ETA did, as their selection of movements was truly astounding. If anyone has access to a Bestfit book, look at the listings under A. Schild - you will be surprised at the sheer number of different movements they had...

10. sryukon Sep 1, 2015

11. Canuck Sep 1, 2015

I wonder about the significance of the difference in spelling between SIMON'S (as on the watch in question), and SIMMONS! The former, (reportedly) is still open.

12. sryukon Sep 1, 2015

I think they're not the same my mistake the The Simons that still open that sells Tudor and Rolex I don't believe is the same Co as the RF Simons? I was hoping it was I was thinking of emailing them and seeing if they are interested in putting in this watch in their showroom. Not sure but I think the movement is from the late. 40s early 50s?