Forums Latest Members
  1. Rich06 Jul 31, 2014

Hello, This is my first post
    This omega was my mother's. I've done some looking around but have not seen anything even close to this one. I'd appreciate any help in identifying it and any opinions of worth. If it were a men's watch I'd keep it and wear it but I certainly cannot use this watch.
    I've taken some photos and am posting a few of them. The watch says 14K on the back. the movement says 17 Jewel and there is the number 485 under the Omega symbol.
    Inside the case back are the numbers AA8991 and 130356. On the movement is the number 30951590.
    I don't know the age and don't have the box. It is not running.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    -Rich

PENS 002.JPG PENS 004.JPG PENS 016.JPG PENS 018.JPG
  2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 31, 2014

Hi Rich and welcome.

It is definitely an Omega, the 485 refers to the calibre of the movement and the serial number of 30xxxxxx dates it to about 1970. I suspect the case is an American made one, which was a common practice for the importer to buy movements and case them themselves - thus avoiding taxes. So, the actual watch could have been made any time up to about 1972 (ish)
    The 14k refers to 14 karat gold - i.e. its purity and I would suggest looking at the bracelet under a magnifying glass to see if you can find a hallmark on that too.

3. Habitant Jul 31, 2014

I doubt it would cost a lot to service, but sadly–and you'll hear this a lot here–as a women's watch it has little value beyond the gold of the watch itself. However, it is a nice piece of jewellery and you might be able to get it into good auction house and do reasonably with it as such. On eBay it would die, in my opinion. I presume you're in the US, and in which case, I'd contact people such as Heritage Auctions (Google them) and similar and see what they think. But it's a brutal market, women's watches, there seems little or no interest in them now. Sorry to be the bearer of such dismal news.

4. Rich06 Jul 31, 2014

Thanks Stewart,
    The clasp on the bracelet has the Omega symbol on it and says 14K also. The bracelet is actually part of the watch case and does not appear removable.
    Rich

PENS 008.JPG
  5. Rich06 Jul 31, 2014

Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling it would pretty much only be worth the value of the gold. I didn't think it would even be worth putting it on Ebay.
    -Rich

6. Habitant Jul 31, 2014

By regulation, the whole thing has to be solid gold (both bracelet and case) as they are integral and the case back is stamped 14K – at least according to my artisan jeweller. It would be lost on eBay, as you thought. But do get in touch with those such as Heritage – Aspire is another – and best of luck, if indeed what you want to do is sell it. Be patient if you do, find the right person, melting down is such a horrible fate for something of family significance. At least in my own opinion.