Need help with Heirloom Vintage Omega Watch Repair

Dear all Omega lovers,

Thank you for accepting me to the board. I own a few modern Omega watches and have so far enjoyed wearing them immensely. I am seeking help with regard to vintage Omega watches in my care. Apologies if I posted this on a wrong discussion group or if I transgress any rules. Newby mistake!

Recently, I was given a box of heirloom watches, in it contain 6 vintage Omega (mostly from 60s and 70s, I think - please see photos attached). I would like to restore them properly with minimal intervention to keep as many original parts as possible. This is where I would like to seek collective wisdom from you, please.

At first, I plan on going to Omega Boutique (for the complete overhaul service). I even made an appointment already. However, upon reading many threads on here warning against doing so for various reason, chiefly that they will likely do as they advertise, completely overhaul watches, devoid them of their perfectly fine historical parts.

Can you please give me some advice on how to properly care for these watches? I am open to seek service from competent independent watchmakers who can help me with these heirloom pieces. If some of them need major works, I would like to seek advice from someone with experience and knowledge that can help me do this well.

Any catches? Yes. I live in Bangkok, Thailand. I would prefer local services but I know it might be slim pickings around here. I am open to shipping these abroad and in no hurry to have them back if time is needed to get it right.

Any tips, advice, suggestions would be greatly appreciated Thank y'all in advance!

Narun

Hi mate, welcome to OF 😀

I hope you are okay with me being fairly blunt as there is going to be some bad news for you here.

First off, all of the watches have major damage. It may primarily be cosmetic, but I suspect that the movements are also in fairly poor state - I am sure that the climate of Bangkok has something to do with this.

Most are as far as I can see all Omegas, but with some serious issues.

1. An early (forties-early fifties) Automatic with a textured dial. The damage on the dial at six is a real issue, as is the cracked bezel which will need soldering.

2. A real puzzle. An early fifties Seamaster, but I can't recall seing this exact variant of the Omega logo before and the dial text has undoubtly been refinished. The case is... Odd. It could be a gold plated base metal case? The inside of the caseback will tell more. The dial variant is very cool - haven't seen those markers before!

3. A mid-fifties ref. 2782 or 2852 with a refinished dial. Not the worst job I've seen done 😀

4. A seventies Omega Dynamic. The dial is very badly worn, but everything else looks correct.

5 + 6. Fakes - sorry.

You will have to decide how to procede... None of these will be economically wortwhile restoring unless you have very good contacts or access to some hard to find parts. Your best bet will be to find a replacement Dynamic dial and a competent watchmaker to work on no. 4, but the first one could also be interesting to work on. You did well in not going to Omega with any of these, however.

Most of the value of these old Omegas are in the cosmetics; correct dials in good condition are paramount so you can tell why I am a bit pessimistic.

Should you however NOT be concerned about the financial aspect, there are close to no limits to as what can be done. Most of us are quite concerned about that particular aspect, hence my somewhat bleak views 😀

Hi mate, welcome to OF 😀

I hope you are okay with me being fairly blunt as there is going to be some bad news for you here.

First off, all of the watches have major damage. It may primarily be cosmetic, but I suspect that the movements are also in fairly poor state - I am sure that the climate of Bangkok has something to do with this.

Most are as far as I can see all Omegas, but with some serious issues.

1. An early (forties-early fifties) Automatic with a textured dial. The damage on the dial at six is a real issue, as is the cracked bezel which will need soldering.

2. A real puzzle. An early fifties Seamaster, but I can't recall seing this exact variant of the Omega logo before and the dial text has undoubtly been refinished. The case is... Odd. It could be a gold plated base metal case? The inside of the caseback will tell more. The dial variant is very cool - haven't seen those markers before!

3. A mid-fifties ref. 2782 or 2852 with a refinished dial. Not the worst job I've seen done 😀

4. A seventies Omega Dynamic. The dial is very badly worn, but everything else looks correct.

5 + 6. Fakes - sorry.

You will have to decide how to procede... None of these will be economically wortwhile restoring unless you have very good contacts or access to some hard to find parts. Your best bet will be to find a replacement Dynamic dial and a competent watchmaker to work on no. 4, but the first one could also be interesting to work on. You did well in not going to Omega with any of these, however.

Most of the value of these old Omegas are in the cosmetics; correct dials in good condition are paramount so you can tell why I am a bit pessimistic.

Should you however NOT be concerned about the financial aspect, there are close to no limits to as what can be done. Most of us are quite concerned about that particular aspect, hence my somewhat bleak views 😀

This is extremely helpful, thank you very much. To say that financial aspect is not an issue would be to overstate my situation a little bit (Hahaha!). But I am not in a hurry and prepared to proceed with this restoration project one watch at a time so I get them all right.

I personally like the Dynamic as I've never seen this particular model before. I also like No.1. Btw, No. 1-4 still run but I haven't checked for accuracy.

I have relatives in the US East Coast so an option would be to find someone in the US?

Welcome OP, considering the damage @ConElPueblo outlined and the lack of financial value of those watches I would suggest looking for a good independent watchmaker that’s local to you.
At least you’ll have enjoyable wearers that won’t cost you more to repair than they’re worth.

Servicing an automatic movement in the US or Europe may well cost you over 400 US dollars for a watch that’s not collectable— why not just find someone who will charge you a few Bhats so you can enjoy them if they can be repaired?

You could just post a new thread entitled «seeking watchmaker referral in Bangkok ».
Also I’m sure if you ask an antique shop they may point you in the right direction.
Best regards
Edited:

Hi!
The watches on the pictures 2,3,5,6 are very suspicious for me. Its not only redial, but fake I guess. Sorry if I’m wrong, but when I look at them, its just something does not right.

Welcome OP, considering the damage @ConElPueblo outlined and the lack of financial value of those watches I would suggest looking for a good independent watchmaker that’s local to you.
At least you’ll have enjoyable wearers that won’t cost you more to repair than they’re worth.

Servicing an automatic movement in the US or Europe may well cost you over 400 US dollars for a watch that’s not collectable— why not just find someone who will charge you a few Bhats so you can enjoy them if they can be repaired?

You could just post a new thread entitled «seeking watchmaker referral in Bangkok ».
Also I’m sure if you ask an antique shop they may point you in the right direction.
Best regards

I understand. Will consider this 😀 Thank you so much for your advice.

Hi!
The watches on the pictures 2,3,5,6 are very suspicious for me. Its not only redial, but fake I guess. Sorry if I’m wrong, but when I look at them, its just something does not right.

Hi Peter, thank you for your honest opinion. I will have them all checked for authenticity as well. Cheers!