Forums Latest Members
  1. ddoblar May 23, 2017

What is wrong with you people? No one said you suck. I appreciate your input. What I meant is most people who want to buy a watch are not collectors. Because they lack experience with a brand and are not collectors they a) are afraid to buy from an internet forum and b) aren't looking for an unrestored, dirty, scratched up 'old' watch. Many are more likely to go see what a reputable jeweler has for sale and pay too much for it. I get it! I deal in antique straight razors and understand that there are those who want them unrestored no matter how bad they look, and others who want them restored to like new condition because they plan to shave with them. Two different buyers. As for TexOmega's comment, the watch was never for sale and I wasn't looking for offers. I was looking for an approximate value. I stumbled on this forum and thought I would ask the question. Clearly I reached the wrong audience for my needs. I hope you all continue to enjoy your hobby and wish you all the best.

2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! May 23, 2017

Apparently, you don't understand the difference between literal and figurative.

3. Ravineman May 23, 2017

too bad its not for sale. I was going to offer him $2,500. I like it all cleaned up ! Oh well I will find something else.

GuiltyBoomerang and SgWatchBaron like this.
  4. ddoblar May 23, 2017

NFS. It belonged to my dad and is a keepsake.

5. ewand May 23, 2017

Respectfully, if you (OP) had introduced yourself and maybe given a bit of background first, then the tone might have been softer. There are several threads every week (every day, even) where unannounced people blurt out "can you help me value this watch -> grainy pic" and that's all that's ever heard from them afterwards.

Now, go and wear your watch and remember your dad when you look at it. And pass it onto your son in the hope he'll do the same for you. It might empirically be worth $100 to one guy on here, $1500 to your jeweller and maybe $5000 to someone unknown out there who'd take a shine to it, if it was up for sale. None of these matter as it's not.

6. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 23, 2017

if not for sale, I assume valuation is for insurance? if so, stick with the $1,500. You can't replace that keepsake if something were to happen to it, but at least you could get a few nice vintages for the proceeds, or one really nice/ original one.

ddoblar likes this.
  7. kkt May 23, 2017

The difference between an unrestored straight razor and a watch with an unrestored case is that the watch movement can and should be serviced and can keep time just as well as when it was new.

But if you're keeping it in the family, by all means suit your own taste.

ddoblar likes this.
  8. ddoblar May 23, 2017

I was curious about what I had and whether or not it had any value. Evidently from a collectors standpoint apparently is does not. However it's still a nice looking thin gold watch and i like it.

efauser likes this.
  9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 23, 2017

understood.

10. michael22 May 23, 2017