Forums Latest Members
  1. HowardMoon Mar 18, 2016

Hello, new to this forum. I have been collecting some vintage Omegas for the last year or so. My criteria when buying is purely aesthetical.

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago. It has no external case markings. The hour hand appears to have a transparent quality as you can see the letter 'A' of Omega through the hand.

I have trawled the official Omega archive, my next stop is to take it to a jeweler who can take the back off for me to see if it is marked with a serial number inside.

It's a very pretty watch, does anyone recognise it?

Many thanks in advance.

IMG_0810.JPG
  2. HowardMoon Mar 22, 2016

Cheeky bump, but really, any clues on this?

3. lillatroll Mar 22, 2016

The easiest way to identify this watch is to take it to the jewellers and get the case back off. The reference number on the inside of the case will give you an idea of what the watch should be when you type the number into google.

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 22, 2016

5. HowardMoon Mar 22, 2016

Thank you for your reply. Yes taking the back off is my next step.
    I will update the thread to any findings as and when.
    Efauser, can you explain your posting please? I believe I have included all the relevant information in my thread and have executed a good deal of my own research before for asking for assistance on the forum.
    Many thanks.

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 22, 2016

You have included no relevant information in your thread. Once you provide photos of the movement, crown, back of the case and the inside of the case back or reference and caliber, then you have provided relevant information. At this point, you have provided a photo of the dial, front of the case and little else. I'm sure someone on the site can tell you what they think you have but, until they see the whole watch, it's pure conjecture. That's why I provided the link.

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 22, 2016

Well, to start.

Where do you think the hands came from?

Omega?

8. HowardMoon Mar 22, 2016

Thank you efauser. If you read my thread you will see that I plan to take the watch to a jeweler to inspect the inside, I will then hopefully have a fair idea what I am dealing with. Until then the point of the thread for now is to have some discussion and hopefully glean some insight from some helpful forum members with what little information I have to go on so far. Conjecture is a welcome form of discourse.

Thank you for your input JimInOz, I'd be very interested to hear more thoughts as to it being made up of different parts. I love the way this watch looks and sits on the wrist, it is a great every day watch. If it happens to have a 'custom' nature to it then so be it.
    Thank you all for your input.

9. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 22, 2016

I did read your thread and saw that you planned to have the back taken off to gather more information. A good first step, if you do.
    If you read through this board, you will see that it's littered with first-time posters requesting information (value mostly) on a watch they recently acquired, usually from a mythical family member, based on a grainy photo that I can only surmise was taken from across the street. So excuse my skepticism (although your photo is better).

10. novina Mar 22, 2016

Please note that this is a forum with a lot of actual collectors. You say that you buy only for the aesthetics, understood. But here, you will get the good and the bad put forth for your consumption. Once the case back is opened, the numbers will lead us to exactly what this watch is. Than you will get the full review of it that you seek. Until than, you will only get tidbits. Here are mine, hands look completely wrong for an Omega. Dial looks good, and case also. But right now, that is all I can say without more information. efauser provided a link to a sticky that describes what you should post to get the most information back. In my world, it would be like saying you have a BMW, but not tell us which model. Simply put, MORE INFORMATION GIVEN = MORE INFORMATION RECEIVED. So please do not take offense at the answers so far. They are strictly aimed at showing you the path to knowledge. Stick around, look around and you will quickly get a sense of this community.

P.s Having an Avatar would help a bit too.

efauser likes this.
  11. HowardMoon Mar 22, 2016

efauser, skepticism excused. I am a long time member of other (non watch related) forums where I actually possess a good deal of knowledge and know all too well the bugbears of longterm members to certain perennial Newb questions. However do consider, if I delivered all the information you are suggesting I will have indeed answered my own question.

I have absolutely no interest in value whatsoever, it was never mentioned in my OP.

Thank you for your input novina, that's two red flags for the hands. Once I have further information from the jeweler I will update the post.

Many thanks to all.

12. lillatroll Mar 22, 2016

The difficulty with this watch is that it is difficult to give any accurate information without the reference number. There is a seamaster model with a red second hand from the 1950s but your second hand might be just stuck on because someone decided it looks nice. The hands could be from the 60s and poorly relumed. The dial could be from anything. It is just guess work without the ref number. Sometimes it is easier if the watch is familiar but I imagine that your watch is a franken.

13. novina Mar 22, 2016

So, by getting the caliber number and case reference will not give you all the information we could give you. You can see that there is question of what model it is. The requested information tells us and than and only than can we say what it truly is or should be. This forum tends to be more on the original side of the coin in regards to Omega watches. Modification or assemblage from parts is frowned upon as value is seriously diminished. Hope this helps show more for you to understand our reasoning here.

Edited Mar 22, 2016
  14. dx009 Mar 22, 2016

Just my opinion/suspicions:
    - the hands are from a different watch I think (could be from a different Omega)
    - kind of looks like a redial
    - or maybe even worse a fake ? the font and logo seem a little dubious...
    - it says swiss made bellow 6 but, not sure if that is how it should have looked like (spacing, position..)

15. arkstfan Mar 22, 2016

Sometimes a doctor doesn't know what is wrong without test and with the test, you'd be able to figure out what is wrong as well. Such is life.

There is no photo of the crown. So we can't comment on whether the crown is authentic. Seeing the crown from the side can provide clues.

Depending on the model, just seeing the case back (unopened) can provide clues, but we don't have that. Even if there are no direct clues, seeing the case back can rule out a vast number of models narrowing things down.

The thickness of the case can be a significant clue but we don't have a photo of that either.

The one photo seems to suggest that the 3 and MAYBE the 9 markers have insets but that isn't clear.

The hands don't obviously look consistent with Omegas of the era one might suspect this watch is from. The lume on the minute hand appears to be transparent, I can see the A in Omega through it that is puzzling.

The dial looks very fresh if it is as old as suspected.

What you are asking the doctors to diagnose you without examining you and with three of the four pages of the chart missing.

16. HowardMoon Mar 23, 2016

Hello Dr arkstfan, please find some updated images which hopefully someone can glean some new information from.

With regard to the dial as raised in the last couple of posts. Yes it does appear to look very fresh, however I have scrutinized it intensely and I see nothing of concern. All the minute marks are evenly spaced and perfect and having compared the Omega logo with two other vintage watches I have from the era nothing looks wrong, I do however stand ready to be corrected as you are the experts.

Going back to the hands, I have noted that they seem to fit the dial perfectly with a very good relationship in the way the minute and hour hands point and fit to their respective markers. These hands would appear to be very delicate looking things, would it be unreasonable to ponder that these hands would take a greater deal of time and money to manufacture than the more comm IMG_0820.JPG IMG_0821.JPG IMG_0823.JPG only seen hands used by Omega?

17. novina Mar 23, 2016

I don't think you understand why we have mentioned the hands as not belonging to this watch. As I have said this is not a matter of aesthetics to us. It is a matter of correctness, or better yet originality. Most he are collectors and originally trumps looks every time.

So thank you for the added pictures. Crown is an Omega which is good. But again, without case reference numbers and movement number there will be some guessing to what this watch looked like when it left the Omega factory. Again originally over asthetics. So please do not take offense at the responses you get. They again are trying to point out what is and what is not original.

If the esthetics appeal to you, that is great. That's why you bought it. You will wear it proudly. That is all we really can ask for. But you did ask our opinion. So take the replies as a helping hand only. In the end it is your watch and you are the one wearing it.

18. arkstfan Mar 23, 2016

My first stab at a guess would be a mid-60's 601 but I don't think the lugs are right for that guess, certainly not correct hands but I don't think hands are correct for any other Omegas of a similar type.
    I will add a caveat to @novina's very good points. There are markets (mostly Asian it seems) where looks do trump originality. It is a rather attractive piece but I think identified properly and original you are looking at a watch that has a value of around $400. Not original it would be a difficult price to get in the US, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, I would not hazard a guess what it might do in South Korea, Japan, or South America where originality is less primary.

efauser likes this.
  19. HowardMoon Feb 11, 2017

20. WYO_Watch Feb 11, 2017

I am not really sure what part of that listing matches your watch. The case is different, the crown is different, the lugs are different, the dial is different and the hands are different. I am new to this forum as well, but you really need to heed the advice of previous posters (take the back off, get reference numbers, serial number, movement number). Even with my limited experience I don't think you have a Seamaster.