Forums Latest Members

Need help with a rare, limited edition automatic Omega (ca 1968)

1. Addi1981 May 17, 2015

Hi all,

I'm new on this forum, because yesterday I inherited my fathers Omega, and naturally I would love to learn more about it.
    My father got the watch from his uncle, who was a respected watchmaker in former Yugoslavia. This uncle went to Switzerland in 1968 with a delegation from his firm, and ,supposedly, bought this watch directly ifrom the manifacturer. According to this story, there is only 100 of these watches in the world. I would ofcourse love this to be true, but people sometimes have a tendency to exaggerate, so hopefully someone on this forum can help me figure this out.

This is a gold watch, but I don't know how many carats (I only inherited it yesterday)

I hope the photos are good enough, I look forward to any information that can shed some light on the background or the value of this particular model.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1959.JPG IMG_1961.JPG IMG_1960.JPG
    rogart and Giff2577 like this.
  2. rogart ray it again, Ram. May 17, 2015

Looking a little like the Fancy lug from 1950 .And the dial like the 47 automatic .On this website . I am not saying it's a franken :eek: . I am just trying to find out which period it comes from .
    http://www.timelyclassics.com/portal/index.php?route=product/product&path=61_63&product_id=902
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-omega-18k-solid-rose-gold-case-automatic-fancy-lug-35-03mm-w-o-crown-/351287354561?nma=true&si=eIaEx3u1NV25A4JHVGkN8Sy6jQ0%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    http://www.timelyclassics.com/porta...uct/product&manufacturer_id=19&product_id=867

Edited May 17, 2015
    Addi1981 likes this.
  3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog May 17, 2015

You model is likely to be a 2446 automatic powered by calibre 351. These scientific dial models in cases featuring the Geneva lugs were produced after World War 2. It may have been purchased later, but this is certainly a pre-1950 model. The case will be 18k.

Sorry to say that the watch isn't particularly rare at all, however, given attrition and loss they're not what you would call common. So parts of the story your uncle may have recounted may have been a tad fanciful, however it is a very nice 'bumper' (as in the slight thud you may feel when the automatic rotor hits against the springs) piece and will keep on syncopating as long as you have the movement cleaned and oiled regularly.

To you, of course, the watch is priceless because of its history.

Regards

Desmond

Addi1981 and rogart like this.
  4. Addi1981 May 18, 2015

Thank you! Desmond!

I had my doubts about the story, because I couldn't find any models from the 60's that looked anything like this watch. Your explanation sounds very reasonable: that the watch was bought way after it was manufactured. I'm going to look into the details that you have provided me with, and even though the watch isn't as rare as I had hoped, it is much older than I thought! To me, that's even more fascinating: that I'm wearing a fully functional pre-1950 18k Omega.

---and ofcourse the sentimental value of wearing the watch that my father got when he completed his military service which is, as you say, priceless.

Again: thank you, and if you or anyone else have any additional info, I would be very grateful.
    All the best
    Addi

5. Addi1981 May 18, 2015

Thank you!!
    I have now searched the net in every way possible, using the info you and mondodec have provided me with, but I just can't find another watch that looks exactly like mine.

I'm NOT impying that it is rare, nor am I afraid that it is a franken (had to look that word up, by the way :) ) but I'm dying to know more about it. And however typical this may sound: I would love to know it's approximate value...

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 18, 2015

Most of the value is going to be in the gold case. There should be some collector premium for the unusual lug design and a little bit more for the scientific dial. Maybe an extra couple of hundred dollars or so in total over gold value.

I'd say overall in the upper three figures, maybe as high as $1,000 in the U.S. However, if you sell on eBay and more than one person wants it, then who knows?

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

Addi1981 likes this.
  7. rogart ray it again, Ram. May 18, 2015

Have you open it ? Inside the case back is the reference . Can be hard or almost impossible to find the exact watch on the net .

8. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer May 18, 2015

I have absolutely nothing to add about the watch but I want to compliment you on your way of asking, how you recieved the given information and your own research. Too many that come here for advise use the OF in an impudent manner. You are not one of them.

NT931, rhetoric, STANDY and 2 others like this.
  9. Addi1981 May 18, 2015

I'm afraid that I don't have the proper tools. I have thought about using a very sharp fruit knife that I have, but I'm guessing you think that's a very bad idea?

As you may have noticed, I'm a complete amateur, but I do own a couple of watches (mostly inherited) and my interest is genuine. I'm gonna spend the next weekend learning more about watches and how to take care of them, (and how to open them) because I simply love this Omega.

If the information above is correct (and I'm sure it is), then this watch has been working perfectly for around 70 years; since Europe was rising from the ashes after WWII. That's magical to me. And the fact that it could be worth 1000 $ or more is, I admit, pretty cool. But I would never sell it ofcourse.

10. Addi1981 May 18, 2015

You made my evening with those nice words. I even had to show them to my girlfriend, to show what a cool community this is. I'm looking forward to spend more time here. I intend to learn more, and maybe even restore the watch in the future (or at least let a proffesional do it).

Best
    //Addi

Mothra likes this.
  11. Addi1981 May 18, 2015

It sure helped. Thank you for pointing out those interesting features. I took them for granted, but now I realize that they are uncommon enough to be interesting (like the scientific dial).
    Thanks!

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 18, 2015

Very bad idea!

:whipped:

Watches are delicate items and require use of the the correct traditional tools.

You should only use a cheese knife!

;)

lando, Tiny Iota and Addi1981 like this.
  13. Addi1981 May 19, 2015

14. rogart ray it again, Ram. May 19, 2015

You should go to a watchmaker that could help you remove the case back . Don't do it with a fruit knife ::facepalm2:: The gold is really soft and would easy get scratched .

15. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 19, 2015

On the plus side, you can practice your fruit carving skills!
    image.jpg

rogart likes this.
  16. j.allen May 19, 2015

It's actually pretty easy, however some of the cases designed to be waterproof can be difficult to open. I would say go for it, but if you have never tried and have some difficulty and the tool slips, you will have some serious gouges in the gold. Not to mention sometimes you cannot close it again without a case press.

17. redpcar May 19, 2015

Plus, if your blade slips, you could blow something up inside. Take it to a watchmaker. He would probably like to see what is inside, too.