Forums Latest Members

Need help with a beautiful silver watch from the 20s/30s

1. palkastu Jul 21, 2018

Hi!
    I picked this up at a flea market today.
    I dont know much about, and are counting on you guys.

As seen from the photos all the hallmarks are swiss and other than the "MLB" in the caseback the watch is unmarked.
    The case is ca. 32mm and Im guessing the engraving isnt original to the watch?
    There is a number on the movement (30-something?) but it doesnt tell me much.
    Thats about all I know.
    Can any of you guys enlighten me? :)
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Giff2577 and murph like this.
  2. murph Jul 22, 2018

wow beautiful

3. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 22, 2018

4. Fialetti Jul 22, 2018

Mikrolisk indicates that the manufacture of the case was Maeder-Leschot SA. It also gives a date of 1927 for the registration of the trademark. Though this information may be incomplete, it gives you a possible terminus post quem. By 1934 this responsibility mark would have been replaced by more standardised Poinçons de Maître of a numbered hammer silhouette, so that gives you a terminus ante quem.

If there is no manufacturers' mark under the balance, there may well be one on the dial side of the movement.

In case anyone is interested, the engraving reminded me of this video, that was posted a few months back, showing the engraving process (on steel rather than silver, but the principle is the same). Apologies, but I can't find the original post.

deni2s, ConElPueblo and Foo2rama like this.
  5. palkastu Jul 29, 2018

Thanks for the response guys!
    For those who are curious this is what I found:
    - As already stated by @Fialetti the case was produced by Maeder-Leschot SA in the late 20s/ealry 30s.
    - The movement looks to be a A. Schild 168-movement (see picture for comparison).
    Comparison - A.Schild 168.jpg
    Thats about all i know :)

rob09 likes this.