Forums Latest Members

Need Help With a 1960s Zenith Purchase

1. westmtn Dec 11, 2017

I'm really digging the look and size of this watch but I have a few concerns. I tried doing some research but couldn't find much.

1. Seller states it's a 2542 and Automatic. I'm guessing it's a 2542 PC? Did these come without "Automatic" printed on the dial? Movement pic is unavailable.

2. Assuming it's a 2542 PC how do you set the date on these? Are parts available? Any recommendations on where to service?

4. What's a reasonable price for these?

Thanks OF,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 12, 2017

It could be a 2542 C which is the same movement without auto winding. I am not sure I have seen a vintage Zenith that was automatic and didn't say it on the dial.

You have to set the date the hard way - the only ones in this family with a quick-set are the 2572 C and PC. I have seen some claim that advancing the hands to 3:00 and then winding back to 9:00 (or something like those times) allows the date to be advanced but I have too much mechanical sympathy to try.

Parts are still readily available and these are a very good and solid movement, so any watchmaker should be able to work on it.

3. westmtn Dec 12, 2017

You’re right it looks just like a 2542 C. Interesting that the seller insists it’s an automatic. Think I’ll avoid unless they decide to send a movement pic. Too bad because it looks like a mint example.