Forums Latest Members
  1. SixSigmaLarry Jan 16, 2015

Hello. I am new to the forum and hopefully a new Omega owner soon!

I was hoping that someone could help me confirm something. I am dealing with a potential seller who is unable to locate the model number of their Omega Seamaster Professional.

It is an automatic with a 1120 movement, has a case reference of 1681623 (assuming 168.1623?), and does NOT have the chronograph feature. Looking at it I can see that it has the blue wave pattern on the face and a blue bezel insert.

I am hoping that it is a 2531.80. Are there any other Omegas that this could be and have this case reference and movement, or this a 2531.80?

2. Shem Jan 16, 2015

Photos would be helpful. :)

3. SixSigmaLarry Jan 16, 2015

Sorry about that. Here you go! :thumbsup:

image.jpg
  4. Shem Jan 16, 2015

I'm not an expert on out-of-production Omegas, but from that one picture, it does look like a 2531.80. The case number 168.1623 is, to my knowledge, correct for the 2531.80. I do suggest getting more and better photos as I've seen threads containing high-quality fakes of this model before. If your seller has the case reference, then presumably he has the ability to safely open the watch, and I would suggest getting a photo of the movement as well. A fake likely won't have a real Omega cal. 1120. Make sure the serial numbers on both the case and movement are intact and matching.

5. SixSigmaLarry Jan 16, 2015

Thank you!
    The case reference number was from the Omega service center's paperwork that he received. If I buy it, I will have my local authorized Omega jeweler open it up to verify.
    By the way, I hope I posted in the right area.

6. Shem Jan 16, 2015

I'm not a moderator, but as far as I'm concerned, your post was fine here. :) We always recommend due diligence as there are unscrupulous sellers out there. Having the watch validated is always a good idea. Even with a photo such as the one you posted, it's not always possible to tell whether a watch is authentic without much more comprehensive and higher quality photos and seeing the movement. And then there are also frankens that you sometimes see, assembled from authentic parts but not made by Omega. The fact that it comes with Omega service center paperwork is better than not (assuming the paperwork is authentic), as Omega would refuse to service a watch that has inauthentic parts or has missing or mismatched serial numbers.

7. SixSigmaLarry Jan 16, 2015

Yes, I was thinking the same about Omega only servicing authentic watches. Also, I was also thinking that I could call the Omega service center to verify the paperwork.
    So, assuming it is authentic, there were only two part numbers that looked like this, right? The automatic and the Quartz.

8. Shem Jan 16, 2015

The one in your photo is automatic. It's labeled "Chronometer" on the dial indicating that the movement is a COSC-certified chronometer. The quartz Seamasters do not have the "Chronometer" line.

9. SixSigmaLarry Jan 16, 2015

Thanks. Now I'm just curious if there is any other Omega autos out there that would look like this. Really hoping I ran into a 2531.80! :)

10. Shem Jan 16, 2015

Qualifying this statement with the reiteration that it's impossible to gauge authenticity, originality, or exact models based on one relatively low-quality photograph...it's a 2531.80. There's no other model that has exactly this appearance.

11. SixSigmaLarry Jan 16, 2015

Thank you! I'm VERY new to Omegas. Just thought I'd add it to the collection.
    Appreciate your time!!

12. Shem Jan 16, 2015

No problem. Just do your due diligence and remember to buy the seller, not just the watch. Make sure you are totally comfortable with the person that you're buying from. You may also want to check watchrecon.com and see if the same model is being sold and what the prices generally look like to help ensure that you get a fair price (bear in mind that the prices you'll see are generally "asking prices" and may be slightly higher than you'd expect to pay).

Also, take note of when the watch was serviced (since your seller has service paperwork), its condition, and whether or not it comes with the original box and papers. All of these can affect the value. If the service was 4-5 years ago or longer, expect that the watch may need service and budget accordingly.

Good luck! Let us know if you get it. :) If you decide to pass on this one but still want this model, check with Kringkily (George) or I see that exelonman (David) has one on WatchRecon right now. Both are trustworthy sellers. EDIT: Looks like David's is sold. Kringkily may be able to find one for you, though, if your transaction doesn't work out. :)

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 16, 2015

Hello,

Welcome - salutations and standard deviations to you! Are you perhaps a lean six sigma black belt? Just curious.

The 25318000 used a few different case references depending on the era in question. The most recent case is the 055ST1381623, but it could also have an 055ST1681503, or a 055ST1681603. At one time it also came with a Cal. 1109, which is an earlier version of the 1120, both based on the ETA 2892.

The watch you posted certainly looks like a 25318000, and the only model that looks close really it the mid-sized version that is the 25518000, but it obviously uses a different case.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

fskywalker likes this.
  14. SixSigmaLarry Jan 17, 2015

I am a lean six sigma black belt. I have been involved with lean, six sigma, and quality for over ten years now (wow, time flies).
    Appreciate your insight.
    This watch in particular does not have box or papers. It does come with a small red Omega box (looks similar to an eyeglass case) and the paperwork from the Omega from Toronto regarding its service (about ten months ago), where it was completely overhauled.
    I'm new to Omegas, but if this is 100% authentic, considering its condition, and what it does and doesn't, I'm thinking it is worth $1,500. Is that too much? I would rather have one with the box and papers; however, it has gone through a complete overhaul and that has value to me as well.
    I attached a copy of the paperwork. Looks legit; however, I would still contact Omega to confirm.

image.jpg
  15. Shem Jan 17, 2015

Earlier examples of these Seamasters are sometimes missing the original box and papers because they didn't hold up well back then. They notoriously fell apart over time and many people threw them out. Paperwork looks legit and Omega indeed returns to you the parts they replace during service as shown. Depending on the level of wear since the service (can't tell from your photos), and considering it's missing the original box and papers, I think 1500 would be perhaps a little high.

16. SixSigmaLarry Jan 17, 2015

There are no scratches to the watch. The crystal and bezel insert are perfect too.
    The service and parts should have some value. Maybe I will shoot for $1,400 then.
    Thanks for your insight.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 17, 2015

Since I deal with Swatch in Toronto all the time, I can confirm that is the correct form for the service papers, so that is completely legit.

Cheers, Al

18. SixSigmaLarry Jan 17, 2015

Great! When I get the watch, I will have my local jeweler inspect it and verify that all serial numbers match up.
    Appreciate the help!