Forums Latest Members
  1. boxcar09 Feb 24, 2013

Hi All, I acquired this tonight online so the watch is not in my possession yet but I am posting the auction photos which are OK but not the best. I am in the dark somewhat as to the case reference on and a case symbol that I know I have seen in the past but cannot find a reference too. It appears below what I am calling a case reference number 124-000-65. Also the movement appears to be an 30SC family movement but only 15 jewels and I thought all the SC's were 16 or greater jewel count. The dial looks to be an old refinish. Any thoughts or information will me a lot.

Thanks
    Richard omega 30t2 4.JPG omega 30t2 1.JPG omega 30t2 2.JPG omega 30t2 3.JPG

2. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 24, 2013

i would have thought a case that old, the number would be a serial, rather than a reference/model number?

3. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 24, 2013

The case back seems to be a mid-60s replacement. I think many of the 30t2s were indeed 15J. All of mine are. The RG I think were 16J.

4. boxcar09 Feb 24, 2013

Hmm later period case back... its possible I suppose, but then it would be even more strange not have a recognizable case reference number ?

5. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 24, 2013

mvmt. number is mid 50`s. the case does not belong to this movement. the hands and dial ( refinished or not) are period to the movement. it`s the case, that has been replaced. kind regards. achim

6. mac_omega Feb 25, 2013

Hi Richard,

I suppose all is well with your watch.
    My guess is as follows:

While the picture of the outside of the case back looks OK with this type of watch, the picture of the inner case back does not at all!
    The number you can read IS A REF.# and not a serial number of course. Much later than movement and dial...
    But the case back does look much to shallow (low domed) for the type of case and it looks to be a "pressure shut" type and not a screw down as it looks from outside!
    So my guess is that the seller mismatched pictures and showed the inner side of a different case back which does not belong to this watch.
    just my humble thoughts.
    And if I may suggest something concerning vintage watch collecting:
    Do your homework before you buy - it is much better than regret afterwards when it is too late...
    kind regards
    Erich

Omega78 likes this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 25, 2013

I agree with Erich. I think it could be a Ref. 2384, as they were known to have this type of hands and caseback. Here is one from a US Army watch

[​IMG]

gatorcpa

8. boxcar09 Feb 25, 2013

I appreciate the thoughtful reply's and help with this. I did discover the makers mark on the case it is from the firm Erwin Piquerez SA. I further have deciphered the case reference number and confirmed it was made in 1964 for a sub-second movement . Well the adventure is just starting so I will have to hunt down an appropriate case for the 30T2SC and continue researching the case to see if can narrow down what would be an appropriate movement to marry to it.
    Happy Collecting Richard

9. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Feb 26, 2013

not sure if that`s worth it. there are plenty correct vintage omegas about everywhere. re-sell as a mish match and start fresh. just me 2 cc. kind regards. achim

10. mac_omega Feb 26, 2013

Hello once more,

I think you did not understand my comment about your watch...
    I am pretty much convinced that everything is OK with your watch - you will see when you will have received it.

I MHO your watch is all correct, but the seller posted a wrong picture of the inner side of the case back - I believe that this picture does belong to a different watch he had also on sale and he took the wrong picture for the item description of your watch.

All the pictures look correct for your watch except the picture which shows the inside of the case back - this is for sure a wrong picture!

This picture shows a pressure shut back lid from inside, but your watch has a correct screw down case back which can clearly be seen from the outside picture.

You need not look for a new case - just wait for your watch to come and you will see that all turns out pleasantly - I am very much convinced about that!

Let me know upon receipt.

kind regards

Erich

11. boxcar09 Feb 26, 2013

Erich ... Thanks for clarification: I did pick up on the fact that there was suspicion that the inside of the case back did not correspond well to the outer case back picture. When I posted about finding a correct case for the movement and visa versa I was speaking casualy with no real expectation of which case back picture may have been incorrectly used in the auction and what case back will arrive on the watch. I would be delighted to find the watch is not frankened; however if it is I will take satisfaction in restoring it back to a correct configuration. BTW ... that case reference 124.000.65 would indicate a sub-seconds bit, manual wind, date, chronometer model. What movement/watch in 1965 would have been configured that way?

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 26, 2013

Exactly none. That caseback is from a Ref. 121.0001. Sometimes you need to enter an extra zero in the database. That corresponds to a cal. 269, manual-wind non-chronometer, steel, snapback, subseconds watch.

[​IMG]

There is no way a screw-in caseback will fit that case,
    gatorcpa

13. boxcar09 Feb 26, 2013

Thanks for pointing that out in the picture 121 not 124

14. boxcar09 Mar 3, 2013

Erich / All ... Watch arrived and it is indeed cased correctly in a 2384 screw back case. The running16 jewel 30T2SCPC is dry and needs servicing. Pleased with the small investment I made in this one. I will decided what to do with the poor dial condition.

Thanks