Forums Latest Members
  1. rustynail Dec 16, 2016

Hello to all here at the forum, i need your kind assistance in identifying the Seamaster DeVille I have in my possession for a number of years. Any search so far has revealed very similar models but not identical to mine. All I know is that is gold plated, original in all its parts, still in good working order and untouched.
    Could you please confirm the model, years of production, how common or rare it is and possibly include a valuation.
    I thank all participants in advance.

P1060935.JPG P1060921.JPG
  2. rustynail Dec 16, 2016

P1060930.JPG P1060919.JPG P1060921.JPG P1060924.JPG P1060929.JPG P1060936.JPG P1060935.JPG P1060937.JPG P1060933.JPG P1060928.JPG Hello to all here at the forum, I need your kind assistance in identifying the Seamaster DeVille I have in my possession for a number of years. Any search so far has revealed very similar models but not identical to mine. All I know is that it is gold plated, original in all its parts, still in good working order and untouched.
    Could you please confirm the model, years of production, how common or rare it is and possibly include a valuation.
    I thank all participants in advance.

Edited Dec 16, 2016
  3. novina Dec 16, 2016

Watch appears to be in very good condition, but what you ask for can not be readily assessed from the pictures alone. All the information needed for that is on the inside of the case back and the movement itself. Obviously it is an Omega Deville. Bracelet is plated as you know. The movement serial number will date the watch and the case reference numbers on the inside of the case back will pin point the exact model, which should correspond to what is seen on the outside of the watch.

Vitezi likes this.
  4. rustynail Dec 16, 2016

Hi there, thanks for the advice.
    Would I need a special tool to undo the case back?

5. ulackfocus Dec 16, 2016

Can't answer most your questions without a look inside. Can't answer some of them at all, and maybe only Omega can.

I can tell you that automatic Seamster DeVilles were made from 1963-ish to 1967-ish before DeVille became a separate line of it's own. These 56x front loading SMDV's are damn near ubiquitous.

6. TNTwatch Dec 16, 2016

The case back cannot be undone. The movement can only be removed from the front and can be complicated to do when you're not familiar with it and can result in damage to the watch.

Your watch is one of the most popular Omega watches in the 60s with a somewhat less common dial. It's probably a 166.020 model with the lugs in gold cap and the bezel in solid gold.

If you intend to keep and use it, it is important to bring or send it to an experienced watchmaker to have it serviced. For approximate value, check out to the sold price of similar watches on eBay and around the web, and add a bit for the bracelet and the good condition.

rustynail likes this.
  7. rustynail Dec 16, 2016

Many thanks for your kind replies. Starting now to get some idea!

Edited Dec 16, 2016
  8. Edward53 Dec 17, 2016

The exceptional condition of both watch and bracelet should in theory add a good 25% to the typical value, but of course ebay sales are impossible to predict. The watch movement is almost certainly a calibre 562. The watch is probably early 60s as I don't think that style of "S" in "Seamaster" continued after about 1962. The problem with a valuation is that, as already pointed out, they are not a rare watch and it's about finding the right buyer at the right time. Personally, if I were selling that on ebay I would start with a BIN price of say £650 OBO. Or I'd offer it here at £550, bearing in mind the lack of ebay and paypal fees. That said, if it were mine and I didn't need the money I would probably keep it as it is a particularly nice watch.

Here is one of mine like it but the no-date version in stainless steel, with a c. 1960 serial no. The dials on this model seem to survive better than most for some reason.

IMG_3835.JPG

ulackfocus and rustynail like this.
  9. rustynail Dec 17, 2016

Great intervention Edward53....only a couple of days and I now have quiet a bit of info, great forum!

Edward53 likes this.
  10. rustynail Dec 18, 2016

Probably a silly question.....the clasp is not closing, can it be repaired or does it have to be replaced?

11. Edward53 Dec 18, 2016

If it's just the two folded-over bits at the Omega symbol end not engaging with the hinge, you can probably press them in enough that they will do so, if you do it carefully. I did that with one by pressing them down on a hard surface with a bit of cloth between to prevent scratching. I'm not saying that's correct but it worked for me. If the problem is something else, then I don't know.

12. ulackfocus Dec 18, 2016

The clasp could be full of gunk and dirt, or it could be misaligned. Let the watchmaker that services it sort that out.

efauser likes this.