Forums Latest Members
  1. MASORAB Jan 8, 2017

New to the site, not new to watches except pocket watches. I have just bought this one and am not sure exactly what I got - bought it cause I liked it. I am pretty sure its a 1908 or 1909 - its a 55mm , not sure about the C90C marking. I am just trying to find out any more information that I possibly can.

FB_IMG_1483897573642.jpg FB_IMG_1483897585171.jpg FB_IMG_1483897594559.jpg
    TexOmega likes this.
  2. mac_omega Jan 8, 2017

IMO the hallmark should read 0.900 which is worn a bit - it means 900 out of 1000 parts silver alloy.

BTW a nice catch for a first pocket watch purchase!

Center second hand seems to have a broken off tip - it seems too short...

best

erich

chronos likes this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 8, 2017

Nice. The more I look at pocket watches the more I want one.

4. MASORAB Jan 8, 2017

Any clue on estimated value...I'm trying to figure out if it would be worth getting some repairs done.

5. François Pépin Jan 8, 2017

Could also read 90 C (centièmes), which means 900/1000 as well.

Nice watch!

6. OMTOM Jan 9, 2017

Hello Masorab,

Your watch is a 19’’’CHRO. You sound rather sure about its date of origin – I don’t know what you base this on: I would estimate it to be nearer 1902.

Omega started production of its (famous!) 19’’’ pocket watch in 1894 (together with other similar calibres of different sizes). In 1898, they added a ‘layer’ to make the 19’’’ into a chronograph, the 19’’’ CHRO: this (your watch) was the first version they produced (the outer scale up to 300 is distinctive).

Of note: it has two sub-dials (continuous seconds at the bottom, elapsed minutes at the top). The ‘elapsed minutes’ scale is 30 minutes. Omega produced later versions of the 19’’’ CHRO (with far more elaborate dials, often marked ‘CADRAN BREVETÉ S.G.D.G.’) but (generally) with two differences: these watches had only one sub-dial (elapsed minutes at the top), and in the earlier versions this was a 15-minute dial.

In 1906, Omega introduced the 18’’’CHRO – and this was a different story (it wasn’t just an added ‘layer’ but the chronograph was integrated into the watch, with the result that it was considerably thinner than the 19’’’CHRO). This watch was in production for 22 years – and then replaced by the (similar) 39 CHRO – another story. Almost all of the 18’’’CHRO and 39 CHRO watches had two dials.

Returning to our watch, the case is silver, just as Erich/mac_omega noted (the Swiss hallmark is visible on the right side). You ask about value (because you are considering some repairs): not much I’m afraid. Probably greatest value would be for the parts but even then not that much. The (chrono) second hand is not original, the dial has hairline. If it runs it is to be enjoyed, but I wouldn’t spend much on it – at most some lubrication. There are some beautiful chronograph pocket watches (even in gold cases): they have not yet joined the Speedie prices.
    I hope that helps. Tom

7. MASORAB Jan 13, 2017

Thanks for all of the information. I think I'm just going to keep it as is and enjoy it.