Forums Latest Members
  1. Frans Jun 5, 2013

Good day

I'm hoping that someone over here, might be able to help me out.
    I'd like to identify my Omega watch.
    I inherited the watch from my dad, who past away last year.
    As far as i know he has had it since the sixties.
    I don't know if he bought the watch himself, or that he got it from his father.
    I also don't know if it's been serviced or altered during the years.
    (However, I do know that it hasn't been serviced/altered for the last 30 years)

Problem is that there's little info on the outside, and i don't know how to open it properly. (Also, i don't think i have any tools to do so in a proper way)

What may be of importance is that i'm from the Netherlands (Europe).
    So i guess the watch might be a European model.

What's visible is the Omega logo/sign on the dial face.
    It also has a very tiny mark 'swiss made', witch you can't see without a magnifying glass. (The picture has been taken with a macro lens). Same goes for the minute marks. They are there, but you can barely see them without a magnifying glass.
    On the back plate there are no marks; it's a steel plate.

It's a is a hand wound mechanical watch, with the Omega logo on the knob.
    Size: 32 mm, 34 including the knob
    Thickness of the case including the glass is approximately 7 mm.

In the wrist bracelet is a little mark, but it's no Omega sign. (Maybe it's not original)

I've been browsing the Omega vintage watches database, and the watch that comes close is the (reference) ME 111.0022.
    But i don't think it's the same model…

So i would be thankful if anyone can help me out.

O1.jpg O2.2.jpg O3.1.jpg detO.jpg Ob.jpg

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 5, 2013

I think that model is pretty close. Unfortunately, the Omega Vintage Database is down for maintenance right now, so I can't check it out. Your case is gold capped with a steel back. Based on size at only 32-33mm, the movement is probably a cal 600 series. Early 1960's looks right to me.

The band is aftermarket and quite worn, so a nice leather replacement would make the watch look better.

When you take it in to be serviced, bring a camera and take some pictures when the watchmaker opens it up.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

3. Fidjeland Jun 5, 2013

what a beautiful watch! keep it safe

4. Frans Jun 8, 2013

Thanks for the response Gatorcpa, and Fidjeland: it's safe, don't worry.
    I took my watch to the local Omega dealer and had it opened up. Took some pictures.
    If i'm reading the info correct, i guess it must be a "Jubilee" from 1962:
    Ref number: 131.001 brings up six watches in the Omega vintage database (Witch seems to functioning again).
    If I read the info correctly the watch is a Cal.286. The only watch out of the six that show up on the database with a 286 caliber number is this "Jubilee".
    According to the local Omega-dealer the value would be approximately 150 euro (200 US dollar), so not that big of a deal, but still a nice watch to me.

P1020191.JPG P1020197.JPG Schermafbeelding 2013-06-08 om 13.31.56.png
  5. ulackfocus Jun 8, 2013

After somebody dropped a HOUSE on her? :eek:

WoOwitch.jpg

Omega78 likes this.
  6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 8, 2013

Hey Toto, we're not in Jersey anymore.

7. Fidjeland Jun 10, 2013

Hi Frans from Netherland (Europe).
    I don´t agree with Gatorcpa regarding the strap. In my opion it really suits the watch extremely well . It´s worn sure, but so is the watch. It´s probably been on the watch since it was new. In my opinion it´s part of the integrety of the watch.
    Regards Fidjeland from Sweden (Europe)

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 10, 2013

These older metal endlinks tend to grind away at the inside of the lugs. Over a very long period of time, they will grind off enough metal that a normal springbar will no longer hold the watchband in place. There are many, many Rolex watches that can no longer be accurately identified, as the original serial and model numbers (usually engraved inside the lugs) have been totally worn away by rubbing against ill-fitting metal watchbands.

Notice that I never said to discard the watchband, as I agree with you that it is a part of the history of the watch.
    gatorcpa

Archer likes this.
  9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jun 11, 2013

Nice watch and great photography! The movement is in good condition. In case nobody else has said it, make sure you get it serviced ASAP, but NOT by omega, find a good local independent watchmaker.

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 11, 2013

........and it will easily rattled,too. Those old end links are pain in the ::censored:: . Replacing with strap is no regret choice. Of course the original bracelet should be kept for completeness and originality.

11. Fidjeland Jun 12, 2013

I fully respect your opinion regarding the strap gatorca. Of course you are right about about the metal strap/wear. Metal straps are really becoming "a la mode" again here in Europe, but solving wear on the springbar is difficult.
    Frans- if your interested in selling your beautiful watch, including strap of course, plaese let me know.