Forums Latest Members

Need help on a Cyma chronograph

1. coolie Oct 25, 2017

Hello to all vintage watch enthusiasts,

First time posting here. Still feeling my way around, so please forgive any missteps.

Anyway, I have been keeping an eye out for a chronograph, particularly a two-register one, and came across this listing: http://www.chrono24.com/cyma/chronograph-mens-vintage-watch-extremely-rare-steel--id6956340.htm

The case seems to have good, sharp lines and edges, and the (snap back?) case back looks in good shape. However, despite the five pictures featuring the dial, I cannot see too much detail because of the reflections and the angles of the shots. What I can see, though, is the finish is very even and unblemished for a decades old specimen.

The seller provides scant information, no ref no., age or other information. Seller says the watch is "extremely rare", but the price is $825. Would appreciate any input on this watch, but wondering if this is a situation of "too good to be true".

Many thanks in advance.

2. omegastar Oct 26, 2017

Dial has been refinished and probably had a gold tone or gold markers since the hands are golden.
    The mix does not work.
    Hour counter hand looks fishy, 1970´s.
    Should have a picture of the case back markings to be sure the case is Cyma.
    All in all, avoid.

coolie and François Pépin like this.
  3. coolie Oct 26, 2017

Thank you for the feedback, omegastar.
    I also feel the hour counter hand looks odd. Guess when spidey senses tingle, heed them!