Forums Latest Members

Need help identifying Wittnauer watch

1. mr ling Mar 11, 2015

Hi everyone,

I'm starting vintage collection.. Why it's taken me this long to get into vintage watches is beyond me, but better late than never. I found a Wittnauer that I like, and wanted help in identifying it and estimating a value. Please note that I have no desire to resell, I just do not want to over pay.

If this is the wrong forum (Longines) and this Wittnauer belongs in the general thread: My apologies.

Here's some info from the ad: Vintage Wittnauer 17J automatic wristwatch with gold filled bezel, stainless back. The movement is model 11SR, caliber 1707. The inside back is inscribed, Longines-Wittnauer Watch Co, New York, Geneva, Montreal.

The pictures aren't the best and it is important to note that he seller could not locate the serial number on the claimed Swiss eta movement.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks,

Jake

Edited Mar 11, 2015
  2. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Mar 17, 2015

Wow. Not like our community to leave you hanging. A week later, I hope it's not too late (or discouraging to you!)
    I'm no Wittnauer expert, but I love them because they frequently are offered at very reasonable prices, and often have a very attractive (if not smallish by contemporary standards) style.
    I believe the movement was made by Adolph Schild, another manufacturer of good quality movements. Parts availability seems reasonable considering how long it's been since these were made.
    I typically find them on eBay around (USD) $60-$80 a copy, and up to $125-$150 for examples in superb cosmetic condition. So for the example you show, I (personally) would keep the price around $125, maybe up to $150 if I had evidence of service and no wear-through on the plating. Beyond that I would search elsewhere.

3. redpcar Mar 17, 2015

Looking at the handy dandy cross reference on julesborel.com, it is an AS1700 based movement. The same one that many Blancpain's use. Not uncommon so there should be plenty of spare parts out there. Agree that the value is probably $100 to $150 for a nice example.

4. mr ling Apr 3, 2015

No worries about the delay. Thanks for getting back to me. I liked the watch, but in the end the bid went higher than what I was willing to spend!

noelekal likes this.