Forums Latest Members
  1. JwJ45256 Jan 31, 2016

Just found this in my grandfathers house, I am a little confused because it has the hands of a Deville but not the Deville marking. I would also love to know the value!

image.jpg image.jpg
  2. dan7800 Jan 31, 2016

I am just a bit higher than just a beginner, but my guess would be a mid-60's Seamaster.

What are the markings on the back? You can look it up in the Omega DB.

You will probably want to get it serviced, but be careful that no original parts are replaced. You'll want some advice from more experienced members. Do what you want obviously, but I'd keep it and remember your grandfather.

Good find.

3. redpcar Jan 31, 2016

I love these finds! Looks ok from here.........except for the filth and apparent moisture leak. Take it to a watchmaker for service. Snap a pic of the inside case back and post it. We'll help you run it down.
    As to the value, as is it looks to be $250 to $300. Serviced, $400ish. (keep in mind these are estimates based on ebay sales) All depends how the dial and hands turn out.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 31, 2016

Nice case and bracelet, as Redpcar said it'll need servicing, don't wear it until its been overhauled by a watchmaker. Don't get the watch polished though.

5. Optimizer13 Jan 31, 2016

I would service it and keep it...an heirloom watch that is more valuable (at least I hope so!) than the nominal amount you get from selling it... but ultimately your watch and your call!

6. JwJ45256 Feb 1, 2016

Why shouldn't I get it polished? Thank you for the help!

7. JwJ45256 Feb 1, 2016

I was just curious as to the value; I will definitely be keeping the watch.

Optimizer13 likes this.
  8. JwJ45256 Feb 1, 2016

Thanks for the help! It is no doubt filthy, maybe the local watchmaker can do something about the rust on the hands! I will upload some pics of the case and movement asap!

9. JwJ45256 Feb 1, 2016

Thanks for the help!

10. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Feb 1, 2016

sharp corners = good
    shiny watches = not necesarily good.

historically many watches were polished to make them shiny, but destroying their shape/lines/corners ... those are perceived as being "tired/licked/polished to death"

11. redpcar Feb 1, 2016

When you polish the case, you are essentially removing metal. You lose the edges, character...........and value. Regarding the hands, NOS replacements shouldn't cost that much (if you choose). I would simply clean everything and keep as is but that is me.