Forums Latest Members
  1. dlrx Jul 15, 2015

Hi All.
    I've just bought this watch and would like to Identify it and get more information. It appears to be a caliber 283, possibly from the 1950's. Beyond that I don't have much more info. I wasn't able to find another case back or dial like this.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

ZSNfXmB.jpg xdlKYkh.jpg XhsN2ZW.jpg dB8AHLY.jpg

2. emilio Jul 16, 2015

So you basically want to know if the dial is original and if you can earn more money then you have spent on it?

3. dlrx Jul 16, 2015

I bought this watch with another omega i was after. This watch is one of my first omegas (this would actually be my first vintage and dress watch too). I'd be keeping it. Not looking to flip it. I don't think id be able to get more than i paid anyways.

With that said, I didnt have suspicions about the dial until you brought it up. Overall it's a nice watch. If the dial turns out to not be original, i might look for the right one. I just don't know where to start or what it would look like. The seller told me he wasn't the original owner and couldn't tell me much more than what i stated.

I don't have much knowledge on vintages. Ideally i would have asked this forum first on its thoughts before buying, but i just found out you guys are here. Just looking to find out more about it.

4. tdn-dk Jul 16, 2015

The movement is a cal. 283 from 1950, but the case looks older. Strange that there is no referencenumber in the case, there should be on a 1950's Omega case, and if it is older there should be a casenumber instead. Franken??

5. dlrx Jul 16, 2015

That may explain why I cant find anything about it. I guess it's possible that the original movement was replaced with the 283 at some point.
    Would be interested to know what movement belonged to this case. I don't see any reference numbers on the case. perhaps I'm not looking in the correct spot. Would this dial have been paired with the 283 by omega or do you think everything came from a different model?

6. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jul 16, 2015

The case does not seem original Omega IMHO. Never saw the dustproof - shockproof - non magnetic marking on any Omega case.
    On the other hand I've not seen everything they produced.... but still have serious doubts (no serial numebr and no ref number on the caseback. I suspect the Omega was later added on a non Omega case.

7. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Jul 16, 2015

I also thought the case was very suspect for the same reasons but did not say so as I am no expert. The second hand is also wrong. Can you post a clear photo of the dial, and of the other Omega while you're at it?

8. dlrx Jul 17, 2015

Ive uploaded some additional images. Hopefully they are clear enough.

This is pretty interesting. I've looked up the 283 movement and seen the type of cases they fit in. They larger and quite different.

The dials might look similar to some others Ive seen, but Ive never seen anything with squares like on this dial. The squares also look like they have something over the gold. Perhaps the lume? if it is, it doesn't glow anymore. The dial looks like its in good shape.

Ive never seen this case or case back anywhere else either. The upper part of the case is a gold color. I cant see any markings. The metal on the back side near the lugs are bending a little. The gold metal is quite thick, and is over another metal that forms the base.

The caseback appears to be stainless steel or similar metal. It has the omega triangle hallmark on the inside. There are also numbers just under it written by hand. The number read: P36369d-7, & P87929U(or d)+7 if that means anything to anyone. Its also a snap on back.

The acrylic has either faint fractures or cracks that might have been polished out. There is no Omega logo in the center. I bought it knowing it was like that. I was going to replace it, but I like the charm in those cracks.

The movement fits perfectly in the case. No gaps. Not sure if that's how they should be fitted. It also looks much cleaner and newer than that case. For something from the 50's it looks like its in brilliant shape. Its clean and ticking away. I'm not sure of its service history. Its looks genuine. It keeps time well. My only issue is with the loud ticking.

Not sure what else I can tell you about it.

Do you think every part of this watch in from a different model watch?

Thanks for taking the time to look into this.

Bonus pic. Added the image of the Dynamic I picked up. My first Omega. Just came a few days ago with the 283. The strap didn't fit, so I put it on a NATO until my order of new straps come in.
    I'm also expecting another omega next week. Seamaster ref. 176.007, Cal 1040. Looking forward to that.

IMG_20150717_182513.jpg

IMG_20150717_182613.jpg

IMG_20150717_184508.jpg

IMG_20150717_185000.jpg

IMG_20150717_185049.jpg

IMG_20150717_185200.jpg

IMG_20150717_190913.jpg

Giff2577 likes this.
  9. dlrx Jul 17, 2015

10. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Jul 18, 2015

Great looking Dynamic on the Bond NATO.

11. No Mercy Aug 21, 2019

Amanaboutawatch and hoipolloi like this.
  12. Amanaboutawatch Jan 6, 2024

I have just received one of these. I remember seeing this post almost 10 years ago. I felt this watch was authentic back then given everything about it looks exactly correct just no reference number. I have seen other Omega's such as 18k gold models with no reference number so this isnt actually completly unusual or a good determiner. The case wasn't opened when I made my purchase in 2024. To my surprise I have received an example with a reference number. So here you go, your watches are reference 2496-X. You will see with a quick online search that every 2496 has this movement, style, and case size. We are just the lucky few to own this unusually wordy case back exterior. There's is nothing alarming or remotely incorrect looking about either of the other examples shared except the absence of an "almighty" reference number. Cases don't have serial numbers usually but sometimes, very-very rarely they do. The movement in the OP has a serial number, as is most typically seen so I'm not sure what the "no serial number" was in reference to in the reply and one can only assume a photo was overlooked. Most folks agree that Omega signed crystals started in 1950 so as is with mine your fissured crystal may be an unsigned original. I hope that helps. Your watches are real!

Best
    J

Edited Jan 6, 2024