Forums Latest Members

Need help identifying vintage Omega Constellation Automatic Chronometer watch

1. Remlec Jul 26, 2014

Can someone give me advice on this watch I've owned since the 70's. I've found this watch in a ski hill ! It was serviced at Peter's in Montreal in the 90's. I'd like to know the value and probably sell it.

Thanks IMG_5082.JPG

2. CdnWatchDoc Jul 26, 2014

Bonjour Remlec et bievenue a OF!

I am not an expert (there are many here who can and will chime in...), but this is not a bad looking version of a classic Omega Constellation, pie-pan waffle dial, possibly with pink/rose gold numbers and markers. The case may be a bit polished (need more pics to give a better opinion), but all looks original. More pics of the back and crown will be helpful; any shots of the movement available? Did you note the numbers on the case back or the movement serial number when it was serviced? These type of Connies date from the late 50s-early 60s, many of which had bumper movements. The patina on the dial is killer to a vintage hound!!
    Value will be harder to determine. Best to have a look at the FS forum and see what others have asked/received. eBay is another source, but there are lots of scammers trying to sell crap and franken pieces. Condition will be very important, and this one pic is not enough to really come up with a value. Let's see what others say.
    Best source for information about Connies is here:
    http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.ca/

3. CdnWatchDoc Jul 26, 2014

4. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Jul 26, 2014

Looks to me to be a cal 354 model 2782, although it could be a cal 501/505 Model 2852 as the cases were very similar. Dial has patina but not unattractive, however the case isn't that sharp, chamfer is rounded on the bezel as are the lugs. New crown in needed. As it stands, though, it looks a reasonably honest piece.

Not knowing the condition of the movement, and the watch not having been serviced for some time, I venture that you may get 500 - 600 dollars for this piece if it is properly photographed and described.

Cheers

Desmond