Forums Latest Members
  1. WeZee829 Nov 22, 2016

Hello, I apologize in advance as I don't have all of the information and pictures needed to help identify this watch (I read the posting guide), but I figured I would post this now and can add more info and pictures later. I don't have this watch in my possession which is why I only have the two photos. I should get the watch in the next week or so. This watch was my great grandfather's, he passed away in 1979 and the watch was given to my father. My great grandfather was a blue collar union worker and was fairly frugal and was a little surprised to hear he had an Omega and I just found out my dad had this watch a couple days ago. I don't know much about Omega, especially vintage Omegas. I am trying to determine the authenticity, the spacing between the Omega logo and name doesn't seem correct, it is too tight and I am concerned this may not be an authentic Omega. Also the sub second dial has numbers, I have not been able to find another watch with this same sub-dial. If it is authentic, I would like to know whether it is all original and value of the watch in its current state and restored value. My father a couple years ago sent it to Omega/Swatch Group for evaluation and was informed it had to be sent to Switzerland for service and would cost $900+. He didn't proceed any further and they sent the watch back. The watch currently does not work. They informed us is it a Cal 266. When I receive the watch, I can post additional pictures with the case back removed.

Any information regarding the model, value, rareness and if it is a good investment to have the watch serviced by Omega would be greatly appreciated.

omega.jpeg Omega 2.JPG
    Edited Nov 22, 2016
  2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Nov 22, 2016

As you mentioned in your post, the word OMEGA and the logo is too tight, that means it was poorly repainted in the past and currently it is not in running condition, so its value is under $100.
    My advise is just leave it like that in this condition as a memory from the past from your great grandfather. Fixing it will cost you lots of money but not much increased in value.

3. Maganator Nov 22, 2016

It certainly looks as if the dial has been repainted - I agree with hoipolloi

4. WeZee829 Nov 22, 2016

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

5. WeZee829 Dec 6, 2016

I received the watch and it turns out that the watch does work. Does that change your recommendation at all?

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 6, 2016

Not much. A good independent watchmaker should be able to give the watch a good cleaning for $100 to $200, depending on where you are located. Any watchmaker familiar with vintage watches will know what to do with this.

Omega will charge you close to $1,000 for a complete service. They will likely want to change the hands and refinish the dial (again).

You pays your money and takes your choice.
    gatorcpa

7. WeZee829 Dec 6, 2016

Ok great, thanks!