Forums Latest Members
  1. clutchstone Oct 16, 2016

Hi guys , i just joined this forum and could use some help & advice for this watch !!!

012 (4).JPG
    ahartfie likes this.
  2. lillatroll Oct 16, 2016

Hello,
    As you can clearly see it is a quartz watch. It could have a cal 1432 movement which means it will have a little button on the crown and if you push it the hand will spin round until you get to the time you want. It could also have a cal 1342. You will find the number on the back of the watch. These watches were made in the 70s and upto the early 80s, Yours looks more 70s judging from the bracelet design. These watches are not popular for collectors and can be picked up for little money even for ones in nice condition.

clutchstone and shaun hk like this.
  3. clutchstone Oct 16, 2016

yea it says cal 1342 at the back!!! hahaha figured i will just wear it . 70s.... thats ancient , i arrived in earth during 90s... just curious!!! why arent they popular!!!

4. Edward53 Oct 16, 2016

It's quartz watches in general that aren't popular, not this model in particular. Collectors enjoy the knowledge of a fine piece of machinery on your wrist which isn't there with Quartz. Yours is a nice looking watch and will keep the time well, it also has a cool retro look so wear it and enjoy it!

ahartfie and clutchstone like this.
  5. lillatroll Oct 16, 2016

As Edward53 says, quartz watches are not popular for many collectors, some don't even consider them worth bothering. Like everything, there is quartz and there is quartz, even companies like Rolex made quartz watches and they are top quality. Its a nice watch, I gave my nephew, who also arrived on earth in the 90s a 70s Omega watch and I hope it will spark an interest in vintage watches. Keep it, wear it, let it grow on you. You might regret letting it go.

ahartfie and chronos like this.
  6. clutchstone Oct 16, 2016

i've been wearing it for quite some time!!!!
    vintage ain't that bad afterall (-: . lol apparently its quite lasting

7. clutchstone Oct 16, 2016

Any advices on how to maintain it!!!

8. Egatdagi Oct 16, 2016

Not everyone here is anti-Quartz but my advice would be when the battery dies to get the new battery from a watch maker who specializes in vintage watches. I had a 1342 that was destroyed by a ham-fisted jackass who put a newer battery in it. The height was slightly too big and put pressure on the movement. It created a micro fracture in the circuitry and now the watch will stop when it gets warm. It works perfectly in a box for weeks on end and stops after a couple of hours on the wrist. As far as I know, the 1342 was an in-house Omega movement which is no longer supported. You can't get parts and most watchmakers won't work on them so don't treat it too roughly. It will most likely be scrap if it stops working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ahartfie and mozartman like this.
  9. clutchstone Oct 17, 2016

yea replaced the battery already ! has been running great for months (-: . i had it done at some local watch shop , decent.
    omg how are you guys so educated on this?!

10. Egatdagi Oct 17, 2016

A lot of reading this and other forums and simple google searches. Also, some bitter experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Edward53 Oct 17, 2016

Just one word. Obsession.

12. lillatroll Oct 17, 2016

I think most members on here like a particular era of watches. I happen to like watches from the 70s so spend a lot of time reading about omega watches from the 70s. Most of the information is available on line it's just a case of knowing where to look.

clutchstone and ahartfie like this.
  13. mozartman ♫♭♬ ♪ Oct 17, 2016

Ain't that the truth. I have a very nice Montblanc quartz watch, at least I think it's nice, but I never knew changing the battery required any expertise. I had it done by a college kid working at a local jeweler, and I later learned she broke the watch, requiring repair by a real watchmaker.

clutchstone likes this.
  14. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Oct 17, 2016

Welcome to the forum and the funky chunky vintage quartz club. I think they're so underrated.

IMG_0790.JPG

15. clutchstone Oct 17, 2016

damn thats one decent watch

ahartfie likes this.
  16. lillatroll Oct 18, 2016

IMG_0055.JPG
    Here is another megaquartz, the dials on these really look great when light is reflecting off them.
    IMG_0101.JPG
    This one is not a quartz but it is from the 70s. It has a mark on the case but otherwise it is is good condition. It is currently with the watchmaker getting a service.

17. clutchstone Oct 18, 2016

wow how did you get them! bought them when you was young?

18. lillatroll Oct 18, 2016

The first one I bought in LA while on holiday. I paid over the odds for it but it had sat in a safe for nearly 40 years. The second one is bought on this forum in April of this year. You can find many good watches out there. The mega quartz and f3oo watches can be picked up for little money and you can find watches in good condition but you need to be patient and look often on eBay, watchrecon and chrono24 . You will also find many beautiful watches on the sales forum here. The sales forum here is always my first port of call. To be honest though I think learning about and looking for watches is, in someways, more enjoyable than actually owning them.

mozartman, ahartfie and clutchstone like this.