Forums Latest Members
  1. allwoundup Jun 26, 2018

I am new to the forum and could use a little help identifying a watch I recently purchased. The movement is marked Omega, and I believe it is an early 17 jewel 23.4SC T1. The serial number on the movement is 8,391,356.

The movement is housed in a round 14KGF case. The only identifier on the dial is "Feldenheimer". From my research, "Feldenheimer" apparently refers to A.C. Feldenheimer, one of the largest high-end jewelers in the Pacific Northwest from the late 1800s to the 1940s. My research indicates that A.C. Feldenheimer carried high end watches such as Patek Philippe.

I am assuming that the watch I recently purchased might be an Omega model that Feldenheimer placed their name on, similar to Cartier placing their name of Movados in the 1940s.

From the serial number on the movement, I am guessing the watch dates to around 1937-1938. From a previous Omegaforum discussion (2016), Omega watches from this period using this movement included the Medicus, Naiad, Saint Christophe, Chantilly and Monaco. In that discussion, Tire-comedon stated that only the Monaco made use of a gold case. I have been unable to find an image of a Monaco online to compare to the watch I just purchased.

The attached photos are from the seller. Unfortunately the photos do not include images of the inside of the case back. The watch is due to arrive later this week. Many thanks for any info/insights forum members might lend.

Omeg.02.jpg Omeg.03.jpg Omega.04.jpg Omega.08.jpg Omega.09.jpg Omega.10.jpg Omega.13.jpg
  2. Fialetti Jun 26, 2018

It's likely the watch was cased in the US by an American case manufacturer, so it will not necessarily match the case styles made by Omega for the European market.

Some information on the significance of the OXW import code here.

3. allwoundup Jun 27, 2018

Fialetti,

Many thanks for the article on import codes....very enlightening....probably even more so after I have a second cup of coffee and read it for a second time. It would appear then that having the OXW import mark that my watch was produced no later than 1936 -- i.e., rather early on in the production run for the 23.4SC movement.

The watch is scheduled to be delivered to me at the end of the week, at which time I will have a look inside the case back for further identification marks. In searching the internet for images of other watches using the 23.4SC movement early on in its production run I was struck by the fact that I could only find one other in a round gold case -- a model referred to as a "Garcon" having a serial number placing it closer to 1940. All the other watches I could find were round stainless steel cases, which struck me as odd given the common use of gold/gold filled cases during that period. Any thoughts on why the preference for stainless steel vs gold?

Still looking for an image of the gold Omega "Monaco" referenced by Tire-comedo in an earlier posting.

This is my first Omega, so it is a steep learning curve. Again, many thanks for your contribution to my education.

Cheers