Forums Latest Members

Need help Identifying potential Omega Seamaster cal.560

1. watchyoulookinat Nov 6, 2018

Hi,

I am new learning about vintage Omega watches after spending about 15 hours reading the last few days.(It's a bit addictive!)

I bought this watch a few days ago. The seller sold it has a 14k gold filled Omega Seamaster cal. 560.

It's still in the post so have not had a chance to open it up and check the movement, seller is on Ebay and has 4000+ sales with 100% positive feedback, says he had a watch maker look at it and told him it was 560 cal but did not have reference number.
    s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l16003.jpg s-l16004.jpg s-l16005.jpg s-l16006.jpg
    What do you guys think? looks like the right case/dial for that time period?

Thanks for any input!

2. CdnWatchDoc Nov 6, 2018

The hanger "s" in Seamaster dates the dial to the late 1950s, early 1960s. The hand set looks original, the linen dial appears to have the right amount of patina. The logo on the crown looks correct, not entirely sure if it comes from this period. The case is in fair to good condition, with some gentle polishing and the scratches one expects from an almost 60 y o watch. The crystal will need a polish or replacement. And certainly it should be checked by a watchmaker for oiling and servicing, and he/she can inform you as to the movement and serial number. Nice find for a first mechanical piece!

3. Edward53 Nov 7, 2018

Everything we can see on the outside is correct and appears original. A 560 movement is ok for this watch.

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 7, 2018

Looks nice to me. Hopefully wasn't too expensive as a proper service, which it undoubtedly needs, will add a few hundred quid/bucks to the outlay but I would be happy to give that watchbox room.

A 560 or 563 movement sounds right for a US market piece as that is the 17 jewel version, respectively without and with quickset date feature. Outside of the US market I should think a 562 or 565 would be more likely as there would be no requirement to drop the jewel count down from 24.

Edited Nov 7, 2018
  5. watchyoulookinat Nov 7, 2018

Thanks for the input!

I'll get it serviced of course. I'm thinking it's best not to have the case polished right? Might make it too rounded?

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Nov 7, 2018

A rub over with a Cape Cod cloth will help a lot but I wouldn't personally get it machine polished. Yes you will lose definition and in extremis make get break through to the brass or whatever below if the polisher is clumsy. That is the issue with gold plated/capped/filled, there is less potential for refinishing vs solid metal, but this case doesn't look too bad to me.