Forums Latest Members

Need help identifying old Longines

1. Alphasports Jun 7, 2018

This watch belonged to my grandfather before I inherited it in about 1973 at the age of 13. I wore it (and unfortunately abused it) for several years before putting it away until this past weekend. Works like a champ despite having taken a knock 40 odd years ago which bent the minute hand and kicked the second hand off its pin (it's lodged beside the 3).

I have not cleaned it, opened it, or otherwise touched it in 40+ years.

Any and all suggestions/advice welcome :)

Cheers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

szab.g.i, Andsan and murph like this.
  2. ulackfocus Jun 7, 2018

Dude, get that to a watchmaker to have it cleaned & oiled before you wind it again. You'll destroy the movement running it with decades of dirt and gunk inside.

It's a 40's or maybe 50's military style watch - reference 22570, and probably has a 1x.68Z inside.

DO NOT HAVE THE DIAL REINISHED!!!! It's worth a lot as it is, and repainting or even reluming would kill it's value. Hopefully, a watchmaker can help you find a set of hands, or maybe even fix those mangled ones.

murph and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  3. ulackfocus Jun 7, 2018

..... or you could send it my way in trade for a shiny new quartz Bulova!

Syrte, murph, GuiltyBoomerang and 2 others like this.
  4. TropicConnie Jun 7, 2018

I'll offer a quartz Casio and a watch I got out of a cereal box.

In all serious though, reading that post made me cringe. What on earth were you thinking the past 40 years?! Ever heard the adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'?! A watch with a dislodged second hand and a mangled hour hand is ipso facto broken. A car without tyres still runs and can still get from A to B, but it doesn't mean you should drive it.

ulackfocus likes this.
  5. Radiumpassion Jun 8, 2018

Nice! What's the diameter?

6. Alphasports Jun 8, 2018

Thanks, I have no intention of doing any mods at all. I've messaged Archer to see if he will take it on, just a cleaning & lube and maybe do something about the crystal that appears to be smudged with what is presumably early-70's model airplane glue (Ouch! What can I say, I was 13...)

Anyone know what a ballpark value is on a piece like this? My quandary will ultimately be "Clean it up and let it sit in the bottom of my watch drawer, or sell it to someone who will give it new life". My grandfather would approve of the latter option.

murph likes this.
  7. Alphasports Jun 8, 2018

I have in fact heard that adage, but not sure the inverse isn't more accurate. I wound it a couple of times to confirm it still worked as it has been sitting in a watch box since about 1976, not to wear it as your comment implies. It ran for about 10 hours on a couple of winds. Now I will get it serviced but only by a seriously qualified watchmaker, preferably in Canada so no cross-border shipping (Already pinged Al at Archer's).

TropicConnie likes this.
  8. Alphasports Jun 8, 2018

Seems to be about 33mm but my calipers are horrible so that's just a guess.

Radiumpassion likes this.
  9. bhoboo Jun 8, 2018

What a lovely dial! Dibs... if you ever want to let it go....

10. Dan S Jun 8, 2018

I'll bet the hands can be saved with some gentle patience. I've seen worse that were successfully rescued.

11. Alphasports Jun 9, 2018

Yes that's my thinking. It's only the minute hand that's bent...maybe with a bit of heat it can be restored without breaking..

12. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jun 9, 2018

I believe that this is a reference 5191 from circa 1944. Movement is likely a caliber 10L/10.68Z. "22570" is the order number. Longines can confirm this information if you send an email to them with pictures of the watch and the seven digit serial number, which is on the movement.

Collectors would call this a "sei tacche" (six notches, in Italian). This refers to the design of the case-back. These are desirable watches in good, original condition, as this one is in. The case does not look to have been polished and the radium numerals on the dial have aged nicely. Furthermore, black dials are particularly sought-after.

As others have stated, make certain that the dial is not touched. This is a fantastic piece!

Warthog, Radiumpassion and Dan S like this.
  13. Alphasports Jun 9, 2018

Thanks for the helpful info :) No danger whatsoever of messing with the appearance.

DirtyDozen12 likes this.