Forums Latest Members
  1. Juggo Apr 30, 2014

Hello, signed up simply to ask if anyone can recognize this watch, I've done fair amounts of google searches and haven't come up with much. The watch was my grandfathers and isn't in the greatest physical shape and only seems to work for about 12 hours before stopping. Apologies if this isn't the appropriate section or forum for such an inquiry. My camera died just before I could snap the back but it was a gold constellation center cap with a silver/stainless steel body. [​IMG]

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 30, 2014

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 30, 2014

I agree, terrible picture but a very nice looking Connie.

Like Gator said, turn your flash off, try to take the photo in natural daylight, like near a window. If you have a macro function on your camera, use that, it usually looks like a flower or tulip, get as close as you can and go for it.

A service will ensure that you enjoy it for many years to come.

PS: The band should be taken off and replaced with a quality strap, it will make the watch look 100% better and you eliminate the risk of the spring loaded ends of the band from gouging the inside of the lugs, although on second view it may not have the springy extensions, but it still looks like crap.

4. Juggo Apr 30, 2014

Ok I'll let it charge and try again, I'm fairly awful at photographs so apologies for that. Thanks for the replies, it was sitting in some boxes in my moms basement for many years and was a rather surprising find since my grandfather was a barber which doesn't seem to line up with being a luxury brand watch owner, too bad everyone is gone that might know the story behind it. All the other ones I found online that look similar didn't have the calender or the numbers and I don't want to try opening it since I have none of the tools. Thanks again and I'll be back. *edit* Here is one I found that looked similar to my untrained eye with a similar looking band.
    [​IMG]

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 30, 2014

Different case, dial and movement. Your watch has a calendar feature and straight lugs. The one above has bent lugs and a "pie-pan" dial.

Can't tell whether you have a late 1st generation (pre-1959) or a very early 2nd generation (1959-1960) from your photograph. The dials were very similar.

gatorcpa

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 30, 2014

As the other guys said its definitely a Constellation Calendar from the time period Evan stated above, quite a nice watch.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 30, 2014

It is definitely worth having serviced and cleaned and put on a nice strap (something Hadley Roma would be good) the band its on is a cheap twist-o-flex that was common in the 60s/70s but doesn't belong on the watch, throw that in the bin. Cleaned and serviced it will run brilliantly, these watches are built extremely well, and last generation after generation. Definitely needs to be on a high quality leather strap though.

What area are you in? We might be able to make a recommendation on a watchmaker

8. Juggo May 19, 2014

I somehow forgot about this so I finally took some better pictures, sorry about the dust and grime it would appear I am a pig for not trying to at least wipe it off.

Front:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back:
    [​IMG]

I've no idea what the watch is, I took it to a gentleman local to Calgary called Swiss Watch Clinic and he seemed to think it was at the very least authentic but wasn't sure the model and figured it would cost $700.00 for a service. The only thing I came across that looked remotely similar was this Omega Constellation model 14747 but there are some obvious differences that even a know nothing like myself can spot, different 'furniture', the little knob on the side, mine says Swiss instead of Swiss Made and probably many more.
    [​IMG]

9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 19, 2014

Looks like the case has been through a lot. Gold capping seems to be worn through on the bottom lugs.

"Swiss" on the bottom is generally seen on North American imports. Might want to check with Al Archer in Toronto regarding servicing. The price you were quoted seems rather high to me, unless a lot of parts (or replating) is needed.

Good luck on the project!
    gatorcpa

10. Juggo May 19, 2014

Is it worth pursuing? I'm not much of a jewelery guy anyway in the sense I've never worn it so I don't know what to say. Sure it might be cool to see brought back to life, I think it still holds time fairly well, I gave it enough movement to keep running for a week straight a week ago and it appeared to be losing about 2-3 seconds a day, I'm guessing that's not up to par with an actual enthusiast but I was pretty surprised all things considered. While watch collectors seem iffy on providing a value assessment, do you think it has any sale value and would fixing it increase that? Or do any people prefer the watch to be in the shape it's currently in. Thanks for the help.

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 19, 2014

That's fantastic for a barn find like that. Most new chronometers don't keep time that well.

Most collectors would rather have their own watchmaker do the work. At the price you were quoted for service, I don't think you would make a lot on the deal, if you were to sell.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

12. CdnWatchDoc May 19, 2014

I agree with Gator, contact Al and see what he can do; I expect the price will be less than $700. And while it may not be valuable in monetary terms, you have a really nice piece to remember your grandfather by!

13. Juggo May 19, 2014

I suppose I should expand on the whole price quote, it wasn't some kind of formal thorough examination but just an off the cuff estimate, I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up costing even more but he just gave a quick assessment. As for remembering my grand father he died before I was even born so I can't say it would do much to that end, I'm most curious identifying the model number but can see that would be next to impossible without having it taken apart.

Just not sure if I should put any cash into it since this isn't some kind of pulp fiction great grandads war watch smuggled through the vietnam war, if anything it was maybe won in a backdoor card game lol. Who knows I might get it assessed professionally at some point and taken apart to figure out what it is, from what I'm gathering its not particularly unique or valuable so it may very well go back into the box it came and sit for another couple decades. *edit* Forgot to thank you for your assistance, being uninitiated to any of this I'm still fairly baffled