Forums Latest Members
  1. dobbermn Aug 28, 2015

hello everyone, my first post on this forum. I recently inherited this watch that belonged to my great uncle. I have his diary from a 1953 trip to Switzerland where he went to the Omega store and the Rolex store and decided to buy the Omega.

I'd like to know more about it. I spent a couple hours on google trying to find this watch and I can't find one exactly like it. Most of them just have the lines at every hour and not the numbers or they have a crosshair look to the dial.

It has been sitting in a drawer since he died in 1981 and it still runs if you move or wind it. I want to get it serviced but Omega said it would be probably $1400 and I thought that was ridiculous.

I'll probably take it to a local high end jeweler to see if they can service it for less.

So.... Long story short, does anyone out there know anything about what this model is? I haven't opened the case back to know the ref no. But I know he bought it in 1953.

Thanks in advance for any help!

image.jpg image.jpg
    Edited Aug 28, 2015
    Wongo likes this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 28, 2015

I think you have a nice example of a reference CK 2577, and obviously a chronometer certified version, although I can't tell if you have gold hands/markers.

It will have a bumper movement, most likely a Caliber 354.

The only way to find out for sure is to use the caseback reference number to establish the model and movement numbers to give you the caliber and approximate date.

To maintain the nice vintage look I would get a good watchmaker to do a clean, lubricate, adjust servicing. Don't polish the case or try to "enhance" the dial.

It's a great memento and will last for many more years if properly cared for.

Jacquot, ChrisN, Giff2577 and 2 others like this.
  3. dobbermn Aug 28, 2015

Thanks for the info. It's silver hands and markers. Sorry about the bad lighting.

4. ptoot Aug 30, 2015

Very handsome watch. Congratulations.

5. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Aug 31, 2015

Fantastic watch! Follow the good advice above.

6. Willem023 Sep 1, 2015

+1
    As you might also read on other threads on this forum: if you want to maintain the original look and feel of the watch, please give the Watchmaker (so not the guy on the corner; people on this forum can help you find a good one) a briefing to NOT (!!) polish, 'touch up' or otherwise handle the case and the same with the dial. I totally agree with @JimInOz but felt the need to stress extra... ::screwloose::
    You have a nice, old and interesting watch, have the movement serviced and enjoy to the fullest!

7. dobbermn Sep 9, 2015

OK. So I got the estimate back from the watchmaker today. $625 for the service of the movement. $100 extra for an OEM Omega Crystal. $100 extra for an OEM omega crown and $150 for new hands or the $625 includes new lume.

I told them to get the OEM crown and as far as the OEM crystal and new hands to not bother. Does this sound reasonable from a price point and do I really need an OEM crystal or new hands instead of new lume?

Thanks!

8. TNTwatch Sep 9, 2015

Too much. Movement service should be from 1/3 to 1/2 of that if no parts required. OEM crown and crystal cost about $30 - $40 each. They don't appear to be in bad condition, so if you're careful around water, there's no need to replace them. Also leave the old hands alone in their vintage stage, no need to do anything to them as there's no gain there. New hands or bad relume job will make them look out of place. Try looking around for more service options. If you're patient, there are quite a few top regarded watchmakers around the world but with long wait time.

You had a nice uncle with a nice watch. Movement is most likely the rarer 352 caliber.

Buckeyes#1 likes this.
  9. dobbermn Sep 9, 2015

Thanks for the information. I'm tempted to just pay the extra and get it back. The jeweler I took it to said 3-6 weeks so I think I want it faster rather than cheaper :).

Good information on the hands. I'll tell them not to touch them since I already told them not to touch the dial or the case.

Thanks!

10. TNTwatch Sep 9, 2015

You can't get it fast when it come to watch services, even if you pay more. Paying more doesn't always mean you'll get better either.

Do you know if your watch's movement is a 352 or 354? It's it's a 354 and with a dial in that condition, the cost of service you got quoted is more than the watch is worth.

Willem023 likes this.
  11. dobbermn Sep 9, 2015

I'm not sure if it's a 352 or 354.

The jeweler that I took it to is the one in town that sells (and services) Rolex, JLC, IWC, Omega, etc....I assume they would have to do a good job.

As far as what the watch is worth that's not really important to me. I still want to get a watch that I can wear a couple of days a week and runs well. It's a family heirloom so I'm never going to sell it.

12. TNTwatch Sep 9, 2015

Good call! :thumbsup:

13. wsfarrell Sep 9, 2015

Sometimes you can get it fast. This thread talks about Paul's in Sacramento, who strives for < 1 week turnaround, and is inexpensive as well. Probably not local to OP, and local is good if you can get it.

TNTwatch likes this.
  14. TNTwatch Sep 9, 2015

That's exceptionally good, time and price-wise!

15. dobbermn Oct 13, 2015

received confirmation. The caliber is 352. Reference is 2577-8. Thanks for everyone's input!

16. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Oct 13, 2015

An all steel 2577 chronometre Seamaster, with its screw down caseback is a really interesting, handsome and sturdy vintage watch. Being the chronometre version of ref 2577 makes it extra interesting (to us nerds).

I do believe the bracelet to be non original to the watch and I recommend you to set aside a good sum of money for a high quality genuine alligator strap. It will enhance the look and keep the watch case from being damaged by an ill fitting metal bracelet. The case is 18 mm between the lugs and I would suggest a strap "18/16" which means 18 mm at the watch and 16 mm at the buckle.

17. dobbermn Oct 13, 2015

Yeah, I already took that piece of you know what bracelet off and tossed it. I may have to get a plain leather band until I can afford a better one after the fleecing I'm taking on the service :(.

18. dobbermn Oct 23, 2015

Just got it back from service. On a cheap Hirsch strap for now until the oem Omega one comes. I'm a very happy Omega owner!

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    tamura and Skrotis like this.
  19. Hijak Oct 23, 2015

It looks good on that strap, personally I think OEM Omega straps are overrated and overpriced. Plus you
    could use the funds towards your next watch.;)

Edited Oct 23, 2015
    Mouse_at_Large and dobbermn like this.
  20. PatrickJ Oct 24, 2015

[QUOTEhands'atch, post: 325976, member: 4314"]Too much. Movement service should be from 1/3 to 1/2 of that if no parts required. OEM crown and crystal cost about $30 - $40 each. They don't appear to be in bad condition, so if you're careful around water, there's no need to replace them. Also leave the old hands alone in their vintage stage, no need to do anything to them as there's no gain there. New hands or bad relume job will make them look out of place. Try looking around for more service options. If you're patient, there are quite a few top regarded watchmakers around the world but with long wait time.

You had a nice uncle with a nice watch. Movement is most likely the rarer 352 caliber.[/QUOTE]
    Leave hands, dial well alone. If the crystal has light scratches they polish out with polywatch, see utube for demo. Follow advice and u have a great tribute to your relative