Forums Latest Members
  1. wholliker May 28, 2015

I am trying to identify and place a value in this Omega Square Watch. Inside the back case it is marked 18K 0750. The watch still runs but the band is missing an outer link (the band is intact). This watch belonged to my father so I think it is from around the early 1950s. What I have not seen on any of the vintage Omega watches is the elastic type band. Also I noticed that the Roman Numeral "3" as well as the "9" are sideways, where most I have seen are straight up. I am also interested in selling this watch for anyone interested. Thanks DSC_0898.JPG DSC_0899.JPG DSC_0902.JPG

2. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 28, 2015

Hi and welcome to the forum!
    A nice 1944 Swiss cased beauty but I feel the dial may have been refinished some time ago, the black seems too thick and too dark.
    A high resolution photo will tell for sure.

Please don't concern yourself with the band, it was added later and needs to be carefully removed.

Others will join with more info and I'll do some checking when I get a chance.

Please allow us to talk you out of selling! This can be the start of an enjoyable, expensive hobby for you!

3. wholliker May 28, 2015

I tired to get a better pic of the face. DSC_0908.JPG

4. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy May 28, 2015

Appears to be a R17.8 from the "Ultra-Flat" collection, movement from 1944, so probably a '44-'47 example. A similar dial is shown in the book "A Journey Through Time" page 143.
    Swiss hallmarks, an Omega case, the key shaped hallmark with the 2 at the bottom of the caseback (Poinçon de Maître No. 2) provide the clue, a stunningly beautiful case made by Baumgartner.

Unfortunately, I feel the dial has definitely been repainted with an inappropriate Omega font and the thick, lumpy black ink.

Have it serviced and wear with pride, it's a beautiful watch.
    Collectors would want an original dial, so the value isn't so great. Whatever you do, don't melt that case!!!
    I will (and so would others) pay over the melt value for such an Art Deco beauty!

My Norman Morris cased cousin says "Hello" 2.jpg

Edited May 28, 2015
    oMEGaFanVintage likes this.
  5. mac_omega May 29, 2015

It is a Ref. OJ 3868

Omega font looks odd (like a font which was used on much earlier watches), so most likely a re-done dial.

Movement has been worked on unprofessionally - ratchet wheel was bad grinding marks (from removing rust I suppose)

Value is low in this condition...

6. wholliker May 29, 2015

I would entertain an offer on this watch. Although I realize the personal value of it, I feel it is time for it to move on to someone who can appreciate it. It has been in my lockbox for 40 years and I really do not have anyone to pass it on to.

Edited May 29, 2015