Forums Latest Members
  1. Philly3950b Jun 12, 2017

Hello everyone and congratulations on the awesome forum, along speedmaster101 it’s my favorite source of info on my Speedy!

I am writing to the forum to gain wider knowledge on my SpeedMaster 105.012-66 CB which I inherited it from my uncle and this watch genuinely sparked my passion for watches.

My uncle didn’t tell me that much about the watch, but my aunt let me know that he apparently was the only owner and the watch has been serviced once in 51 years.

This is somewhat bad, but also good since it actually doesn’t lose time (at least not significantly) and overall appears to be in good conditions.

The watch has 1125 bracelet and 633 end-links, which I think are not the correct ones for it. I tried to source the 1506 with 16 endlinks, but had no luck. Other than that, from what I could check and see online, it looks to be correct.

I would really like to hear your opinions on it and hopefully I’ll be able to discover something more about it! I don’t have the warranty, but it has got the box which I’d assume is the original one.

Below are some low quality pics (smartphone…) of the actual watch!
    If it might help, I'll try to get better ones!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Etp095, balaja, Screwbacks and 12 others like this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 12, 2017

Don't wind it and wear it until it has been serviced, STS (Swiss Time Services) in the UK are worth trying given you're in Europe, seriously get them to service it correctly before its wound again.

3. arcadelt Jun 12, 2017

Looks like it is in nice condition, and always nice to have an original box too. Those who know a lot about these things will be along soon, but I'm sure they would like pictures of the movement and inside case back.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 12, 2017

Also keep in mind needle nose pliers are not the correct tool for caseback opening, its better than your watchmaker do that as the caseback looks un-mangled and it'd be good to keep it that way. Those are some very sharp CB-facets, make sure nobody polishes it either.

5. corn18 Jun 12, 2017

Caseback is not stepped. Everything else looks spot on and a really nice example of this ref.

6. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 12, 2017

Very lovely watch mate!:) I turned up on here with a similar watch 7 months ago and I can tell you; you are in the right place.
    In addition to the help you will get on this forum you will be well advised to check out www.Speedmaster101.com. In particular read the 'overview' and the 'assessment' guide. You will find out all you need to know about this reference and the difference between a CB and HF case.:thumbsup:

The advice given by @dsio regarding service is perfect. They serviced and cleaned my watch recently. They provide a level of expertise that is well known and respected on this forum. Expert collectors on this forum also use Simonfreesewatchmakers.com. both of these service centres are located in the South East of England, UK.

7. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 12, 2017

That's because it's a 1966 CB case. They only have the single step. The HF cases are double stepped. (www.Speedmaster101.com)
    This is my 105.012-65 with it's double step or bevel case.
    20170507_170222-1-1.jpg
    105.012-66 had 2 case designs. HF on the left and CB on the right. (Picture is from www.Speedmaster101.com)
    1-PA230375.jpg

:)

Edited Jun 12, 2017
    drhex, The_Walrus, Etp095 and 5 others like this.
  8. BartH Follows a pattern of overpaying Jun 12, 2017

Nice watch you got there. The uncle watches I'm set to inherit are just that... uncle watches. :)

9. Dgercp Jun 12, 2017

Great looking watch! Service and enjoy.

10. Philly3950b Jun 12, 2017

Thanks a lot for the quick feedback guys!
    I'll definitely have it serviced internally.
    Here in Italy (Bologna specifically) we have great watch shops which I completely trust to do a great job.
    I don't want them to polish it in any way, I'd rather keep a few minor lines than having its shape ruined.
    Any suggestion on where I might find a bracelet correct for the reference? I'll try to post pictures of the movement, but I'm pretty confident it'll be the correct one for the watch.
    Do you know from which years the bracelet is? That's probably when it got serviced...

11. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 12, 2017

Mstanga's bracelet chart will answer that question for you. Click the search icon at the top of the page. Nice to hear you have confidence in your 'watch shops'. Will they have expert watchmakers who regularly service vintage Omega 321 movements and will they have access to vintage and correct parts that a 105.012-66 that has only been serviced once in 51 years may need???

I recently had my 105.012-65 serviced by Swiss Time Services UK. It needed vintage and correct parts and complete dismantling of the mechanism. I doubt a 'watch shop' would have been able to offer such a complete service.

These are the reasons people on this forum are pointing you towards Swiss Time Services UK or Simon Freese Watchmakers in the UK.

Edited Jun 12, 2017
    Etp095 and neilfrancis like this.
  12. mr_yossarian Jun 12, 2017

My dear, '66 CB is never stepped :)

13. neilfrancis Jun 12, 2017

That is a very attractive watch, congratulations.
    +1 for Simon Freese on the servicing.
    I like the lamp in the background so much that I have one of those too. It's from 'Sweden', yes?:)

Peter Lundberg likes this.
  14. Philly3950b Jun 12, 2017

@nonuffinkbloke thanks for the helpful irony. The watch shop I'm referring to is Laboratorio Portanova in Bologna, the most respected in Italy when it comes to vintage watches. I'm sure they would do a great job in the UK but I'm rather confident they can take care of my Speedy in the best possible way, with the advantage that they are right behind the corner. They are no newbies and have a proven background of years and years of excellent service to me, friends and other customers that own watches way rarer than my Speedy, here an example of what they can do on a movement:
    http://www.laboratorioportanova.eu/...orologi/restauro-universal-tricompax/?lang=en

@neilfrancis: The lamp is indeed a very pricey one from a Swedish artisan ;)

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  15. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jun 12, 2017

Nice! Most all uncle threads do not turn out this way...

You will also need to address the hand (s), as it looks like lume has been lost on the minute hand.

It took me a long time to find a really good watch maker. Unfortunately wasted money on a couple of mediocre watch makers. When it comes to Speedmasters, you need to go with the best.

As an FYI, I am getting ready to ship a Ploprof all the way to Australia to get some hands fitted. I am in San Diego, and as much as I would like to not ship this distance, I have not been able to find a local watchmaker with proven experience with this model.

GuiltyBoomerang and mr_yossarian like this.
  16. Philly3950b Jun 12, 2017

@Taddyangle thanks for the feedback, again, my english might not be on point, but when I'm saying watch shop I'm referring to one of the best in the business. If they can't do it properly they are the first to say they can't. Therefore it will first go there for a check up, eventually I will talk with who has been suggested if Portanova won't be able to work with it correctly.

Regarding the uncle thread, I do know I've been pretty lucky with this one :D

17. bgrisso Jun 12, 2017

Beautiful watch! If it were me I would consider touching up the lume on the minute hand, I don't like seeing through them, but that's obviously a matter of opinion.

18. mr_yossarian Jun 12, 2017

Wow..congrats! The only thing my uncle kept was secret documents from the V2 Rocket Construction teams which he just threw away after 60 years..and my Dad wore a automatic Citizen, even though he was a fighter pilot..I sometimes would love to swap my familiy for a 105.012 :)

Timelab, nixf6 and Nathan1967 like this.
  19. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jun 12, 2017

Please do share pics when you get the watch back. These are some of my favorite threads on OF. I always enjoy reading about inherited watches.

20. Philly3950b Jun 12, 2017

Will inquire about that as well, I'd like to have it relumed though, not changed with a new one....

Here a few other (bad again) pics of the watch with other in my "collection"
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Edited Jun 12, 2017