Forums Latest Members
  1. Auttasit Aug 6, 2017

Hi,

I am a newbie for the vintage world. This is my first post here on the OF. I have been stick to this forum for a while but never posted anything.

I am looking for a 1665 DR and came across this 5.1xxxxx serial. The seller is nice and the asking price is about market average price .

From my point of view, the watch is slightly polished but still maintains thick lugs. Crown guard is still ok. The case back has serial number on it.

The insert is later replaced. The dial is mark IV which is correct with the serial range.

The bracelet is 93150 with 585 end links. Everything seems to be ok to me.

Need your help here guys. Is there something else I should be concerned? Every comment is welcome and appreciated.
    Sorry for low quality pictures.

Auttasit 20604477_10213932301242032_3692340708684817034_n.jpg

20604636_10213932301202031_5653243227440182882_n.jpg
    case back.jpg
    crown.jpg
    dial.jpg
    helium valve.jpg model number.jpg
    serial.jpg

2. omitohud Aug 6, 2017

Looks good to me. You r on point with all the observation. It even has the super dome [emoji15]. I would find a proper later mark 3 FF to "complete" a beauty like this.

watch3s, Auttasit and McJamesT like this.
  3. McJamesT Aug 6, 2017

I love older subs and SD's but they scare the heck out of me. I dont understand all the nuance and at those prices, it's important. That said, really pretty watch, I cant offer anything on the validiity but good luck with it and enjoy!

watch3s and Auttasit like this.
  4. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Aug 6, 2017

Is this a watch you can see first hand or buying from these pictures? Looks like you have done a bit of homework already.
    I would ask for better (a lot of) pictures without a flash of everything, caseback, dial writing (unobstructed) and the plots to look at the tritium condition/loss. The 6 o'clock marker shows as if the tritium is lifting.
    The case still looks solid and it has evidence of a case refresh.
    Ask to see if the owner knows if the hands are original or were color matched.
    Good luck!

Auttasit likes this.
  5. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Aug 6, 2017

What is the asking price?

I almost pulled the trigger one of these a few months back, and someone gave me great advice...perfect examples are hard to sell, not perfect examples are really hard to sell.

It is a lot of money to have wrapped up in a piece, and if you can afford it, I say go for it. But since you are new to vintage, you will most likely want something else in short order, and if you need to move the DRSD it could be a challenge.

Just some thoughts. It is still my grail, just dont know that I will ever pull the trigger.

Good luck and welcome!

Auttasit likes this.
  6. omegastar Aug 6, 2017

You should post on VRF and ask if it is legit. There are many franken and fakes since there is a lot of money involved.

Auttasit likes this.
  7. Overgrower Aug 6, 2017

Looks fake to me. The coronet does not match any of the known DRSD versions I-IV. Also, you need close up pics of the Sea Dweller font. The pics shown have the hands blocking the text. DRSD are notorious for fakes. Be careful, double check on VRF.

Auttasit likes this.
  8. hendra324 dealer who would rather use aftermarket parts Aug 6, 2017

or you can ask on TRF

Auttasit likes this.
  9. Auttasit Aug 6, 2017

Thank you guys for the warm welcome and helpful opinions.
    I have requested more pictures from the seller focusing on the dial and movement.
    He has sent some more pictures. Now I can see the differences at the coronet like @Overgrower stated.
    But I think the Sea Dweller text seems to be okay. What do you guys think?
    Anyway, I will post my questions on the VRF also. Thanks again.

20676722_1636696263030327_1610400809_o.jpg 20677013_1636693786363908_691348659_o.jpg 20684508_1636697689696851_103729354_o.jpg

Edited Aug 6, 2017
  10. wsfarrell Aug 7, 2017

My advice would be to get one from a brick and mortar store, like HQ Milton in San Francisco. If there isn't a store near you, next best would be buying one on a Rolex forum. Both of these avenues will be expensive, but you can be almost 100% certain that the watch is exactly what the seller says it is.

Auttasit likes this.
  11. mappleluna Aug 7, 2017

I have doubts about the case, it had been touched up at some point, too clean bevels

12. Auttasit Aug 7, 2017

Yes, it looks really pretty. When putting a nice faded gray insert on, it really looks fantastic.

I totally agree with you. Even though I already spent a lot of time studying, I always find something surprising.

If the deal were to be made, I would go there and pick it up myself. The seller has confirmed that the hands are original without relume. He has sent some close-up pictures.The case has been recently polished. The dial writing looks fine for me but the coronet is different from most of MarkIV examples.

dial close up.jpg

Asking price is around USD 34K
    Thank you for sharing you thoughts. Think I will reconsider it. This watch makes me realize that I still have a lot more to study.

thank you, will do that.

I did it, just wait for some reponds.

Yes, that is right. I really thank you for that. I didn't notice it at first. After I did more research, I think it is really different. I attached a photo comparing the coronet side by side. Hopefully this could be useful for others.
    CORONET COMPARE.jpg

I did it. I found a nice example from his IG. The asking price is 70K USD. It is clearly way above my budgets.

You are right. The watch has been polished recently.

dial close up.jpg close up 2.jpg
    Edited Aug 8, 2017
  13. sensui Aug 8, 2017

I don't know about these enough to comment.....but I do know you need to study drsd.com and tread carefully. There has been a lot of "good" fake dials on these to people not knowing the small nuances lately. Make sure you get opinions from the top guys that know their sea dwellers at VRF and TRF.

Auttasit likes this.
  14. omegastar Aug 8, 2017

Auttasit likes this.
  15. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Aug 8, 2017

The coronet on the pictures provided to you is fine.. The angle of the picture and camera used makes a big difference.
    Your pictures are clearer, better magnification.
    That is a fine crisp dial on your example.
    Good Luck!

Auttasit and watchknut like this.
  16. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Aug 8, 2017

I know of many examples that that traded at or below that number from trusted dealers and collectors.

For a few grand more I know where you can get a tropical one.

TTG and Auttasit like this.
  17. Auttasit Aug 8, 2017

Thank you, Actually I have checked that one. The seller have sent me more pictures.The dial and case are fake, the paper is questionable.

Edited Aug 8, 2017
  18. omitohud Aug 8, 2017

I'm traveling right now so don't check my phone often. This watch is fine. Just like the bezel inserts, there are variations due to printing issues such as old pad vs new pad. There r certain tells that I won't share here to prevent fakers from perfecting their skills.

marco, Auttasit and watchknut like this.