Forums Latest Members

Need help: Do you know this watch? Does it look OK?

1. jackcklam Oct 9, 2015

Hi all. This is my first post here. Thanks to all the expertise here I learned so much from you all.

I'm looking for my first Omega watch. I want a beautiful vintage watch that is practical for everyday use. I don't care too much on collectibility or resell value. It will be my first "real grown-up watch".

So I came across this Omega watch. Listed as a circa 1940's. The seller isn't a professional watchmaker, and he doesn't have information on the movement's model.

Seller's description of the watch:
    “A gorgeous watch that is ~ 75 years old. Recent Cleaning, Lube, and Adjustment. Receipt if interested. Raised painted numerals, Second hand with seconds in increments of 10 seconds. Striking embossed Argentine leather with Tan Alligator pattern. The tan watchband and Black dial with silver numbers present a stark contrast that never fails to draw attention; however, it has been worn sparingly. Shiny Silver bezel, unmarked silver back. Please see pictures.” In response to my inquiry, he said the case diameter is 37mm without crown, 38mm with crown. He was purchased it in Argentina, and he is now selling from South Carolina. It was serviced in Atlanta a year ago and he saw the Omega movement inside when the watchmaker opened the case back. He will try to have someone open the case and send me a picture of the movement tomorrow.

After reading about how the original paint on Omega's black dials are prone to cracking and deterioration, I tend to believe this is a redial. The question is, does it look like a good redial to you? One that is tastefully done and accurate to its period?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. After reading about black dials in vintage Omega watches, I came to the conclusion that it is a futile quest for a beginner to insist on original black dials. Everything I can find so far is either original but uglily-aged (rare), or it is a redial (more common). It seems that finding a pre-60's Omega watch with original black dial that is BEAUTIFULLY-AGED will take an incredible amount of time, knowledge and luck. Do you agree?

I really like the look of the watch. But I'd like to identify its period, model and authenticity before I decide to buy it. Most importantly, would you buy it for US$500?

Your input is greatly appreciated!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edited Oct 9, 2015
  2. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Oct 9, 2015

Finding original black dialed Omegas is not easy and this one is definitely a redial. It's not a terrible one but it looks pretty new. If you like the style I think 300-400 would be a fairer price.

3. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Oct 9, 2015

We cannot identify model, date etc without a picture of the movement. As you point out, it has been repainted so we would need to see what is under the hood.

4. jackcklam Oct 10, 2015

Here is a picture of the movement. The seller reports that a screw heads broke off when his jeweller inspected the movement. He suspected that the previous watchmaker might have over-tightened the screw and it started to cracked over time.
    Do you think the broken screw should be a concern, or is it a easy fix? How does a watchmaker remove a broken screw in this case?

[​IMG]

5. jackcklam Oct 10, 2015

[​IMG]

6. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Oct 10, 2015

The broken screw is one of 2 screws that secures the movement to the case. While the watch will still function, it might be as secure in the case as it should be, so ideally the broken screw needs to be replaced. There are a number of ways to do this, but all involve a fair amount of skilled labor. Given the broken screw and refinished dial, I would walk away from this one. Having said that, it has values as a parts watch.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 10, 2015

Sorry I will have to disagree on the skill level involved. Removing a broken screw like the one shown is incredibly easy if you have the right tools. And I'm not talking about some fancy watchmaker tools, just a trip down the spice aisle at the grocery store...

[​IMG]

Here's an example - Cal. 861 bridge with broken screw for the chronograph friction spring:

[​IMG]

Suspended in alum solution:

[​IMG]

Screw dissolved:

[​IMG]

All good now:

[​IMG]

On this one I had to actually remove one of the tapped feet to keep it out of the solution, but on the example from the OP you would not even need to do that. Child's play for any competent watchmaker, and no reason at all to be concerned about buying this watch in my opinion. The refinished dial though is another thing entirely...

Cheers, Al

cristos71, Jacquot and Georgieboy58 like this.
  8. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Oct 10, 2015

Really...? I thought taking apart the watch and putting it back together to enable the removal of the screw would take some skill.... ;)

9. devnull Oct 10, 2015

In all fairness he didn't say anything about putting it all back together ;)

10. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Oct 10, 2015

The seller described this to you as recent clean, lube and adjust, was this done while the movement was in the case? If you want it go for it, but factor in a service fee of $US300 which is I believe what a quality watchmaker will charge.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 10, 2015

Okay I'll play - so if you are now saying you were referring to the disassembly and reassembly of the movement, tell me the "number of ways to do this" you were referring to. ;)

If you were advocating that the OP do the service himself, I could understand the warning about this taking some skills that he might not possess. But for a competent watchmaker, if they had difficulty with any of this I would be surprised. This would be a pretty routine service, broken screw included. There are a number of amateur watchmakers on this forum who I'm sure would have no difficulty with this as well. As a "gotcha" for a watchmaker, this is a pretty minor one all things considered. The skilled labour required for the broken screw removal is equivalent to making a cup of tea (or coffee if you prefer).

Cheers, Al

STANDY likes this.
  12. vinn2 Oct 10, 2015

wow ! alum -- is that a joke -- i use a penetating oil soup

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 10, 2015

I prefer French onion, split pea, or chicken noodle. Oil soup doesn't sound very tasty...and I doubt it dissolves broken screws very well.

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 10, 2015

I have had a few screws over the years dissolve with a fair bit of Rum. They weren't even soaking in it. ;)

timjohn and Traveler like this.
  15. SeanO Oct 10, 2015

I thought rum only loosened the screws.....

STANDY likes this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 10, 2015

I was drinking the rum ::facepalm2::

17. SeanO Oct 10, 2015

I sort of figured that out......

but living in the NT waiting for the Wet to break and drinking rum would probably feel like you had a screw loose.

STANDY likes this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 11, 2015

Just about to get into that neck of the woods. Known up here as (mango madness) once the mangoes are ready to pick it's about the time people start going a bit loopy.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-...-illness-tropical-wet-season-build-up/5795852

http://www.news.com.au/national/mango-madness-is-no-myth-say-doctors/story-e6frfkp9-1111116346282

Edited Oct 11, 2015
  19. jackcklam Oct 11, 2015

So besides the broken screw, does the movement look good to you? What's the caliber model? Does it seem original to the watch?
    Thanks guys