Forums Latest Members

Need help Choosing a watch for graduation!

1. LucaT May 11, 2016

Hello everyone,
    I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this so please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like a really great place to talk about watches and I'm in dire need of advice so I'd love to get your collective opinion on an impending decision about watches.
    So I'll be graduation soon and my parents would like to get me a gift as a momento and to celebrate. I opted for a watch because I really appreciate the practical as well as sentimental values that a good watch has.

I'd like for this watch to last me a long time, I want to be able to have it through adulthood and potentially beyond so quality is very important.

Automatic is preferable but I'm not opposed to Quartz. I'm pretty set on having a bracelet since I already have a Tissot PRS 516 w/ leather band. I would like something stylish but kind of timeless, something I can wear years in the future in a professional setting.

Budget: $0-3500 preferably not at the higher end of the range but I may be able to swing it for a quality watch.

I've been going to stores to try them on and I really like these, however I really don't know much about the movements/reputations and since I'd like to have this watch for a long time ANY advice or comments are so greatly appreciated.

So far I've looked at: (but I'd LOVE any suggestions, seriously any watch that you think might fit the criteria I'd really like to take a look at)

Omega Seamaster 300m
    Tudor Black Bay Heritage Black
    Omega 2254.50.00 Seamaster Professional 300m
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer
    Longines Hydroconquest
    Tag Heuer Formula One (41mm steel and plated gold)
    Grand Seiko SBGX115

2. watchthirst May 11, 2016

SM300 all the way, but I believe it is slightly over your range, if we are both thinking of the SM300 CM.

You also haven't mentioned if you're seeking a new or pre-owned watch.

As a more affordable alternative to the diver watches you have on your list such as the black bay and the SM300, I would consider looking into the Squale 1521. They are really amazing watches with an interesting history. Top notch ETA movement and a really solid case. They are super durable and have many different color combos. If you're set on a bracelet you can get it on a mesh shark band. It looks awesome!

Good luck on your hunt! I hope you find what you really love and buy it.

LucaT likes this.
  3. LucaT May 11, 2016

thanks for the reply! I'm not opposed to pre-owned but I feel like it may be a bit precarious for me since I really know nothing about the used market/warantees/fakes etc. Yeah I agree the SM300 really is an eye catcher. A few novice questions, what's the difference between all of the models? Is it the movement? Make? Are the all co-axial or is that what CM means? Sorry for the overload of questions it just feels like there's so much that I don't know about it that I would like to. I really like the look of the Squale, I'll look into it for sure thanks for the suggestion[/QUOTE]

Edited May 11, 2016
  4. watchthirst May 11, 2016

The difference between all the models is a really really broad question. It's like asking whats the difference between apples and oranges. Well yeah they're both fruits but, there are many variables after that.

I wouldn't be so intimidated so much by your lack of knowledge when hunting for a new watch. That's the fun part, learning so much along the way, having your taste develop, and of course making some mistakes along the way that hopefully aren't too costly but will teach you valuable lessons.

I recommend you dive deep into learning about particular watches that draw you instinctively. You have to start somewhere right? So why not begin researching a particular watch that has your attention? Know every detail, it's movement, it's history, the makers history, etc. Eventually that knowledge will take you to many other different and interesting watches and topics you may not have been curious enough to look into before.

Sometimes finding that next watch is very similar to finding your wife......you just know, you just won't see it coming.

5. Bushido May 11, 2016

Perhaps before diving (pun intended) into the intricacies of various models, ask yourself what you want out of the watch first. Would you enjoy a chronograph, take it swimming, automatic vs manual winding? What about size of the watch?

I see that an Omega Speedmaster is missing from your list. Have you already ruled those out or have not yet looked at them? There are options for a couple different sizes as well as movements. Both automatic and manual wind. An absolutely kick ass classic model that will stand the test of time. Brand new may be stretching your price range but pre-owned is very doable.

I would suggest looking up @WatchVaultNYC and his current offerings. He's highly trusted on this forum and well worth contacting.

LucaT and watchthirst like this.
  6. LucaT May 11, 2016

Wow solid advice, thanks! I'll keep that in mind as I (hopefully) expand my collection :) I'll do my due diligence and pick the right one, thanks for all the help I really appreciate it!

blacktiger likes this.
  7. LucaT May 11, 2016

quality pun!! I'm thinking automatic, manual seems like a bit of hassle and I may not wear it every day and for size I enjoy medium size watches, my father's Rolex GMT 41mm (I think) fits me really well so something around that area. I'd like to have it as a lifestyle-semi-formal watch, I'd wear it in the shower, pool, school, etc but not out for sports and things like that. I just looked at the Speemaster and it's a gorgeous watch, however, I'm not a huge fan of watches with busy faces (chronograph etc.) so I think I'd rather stick with something simple-ish. I've just found the Seamaster Diver, which I suppose is a model of Seamsaster and I really love the look, maybe a good deal/used one is the way to go! I'll looked into @WatchVaultNYC and keep my eye out for anything that catches my eye, thanks!

blacktiger likes this.