Forums Latest Members

Need help! Checking JLC Memovox ref. 855

1. Albertwii81 Sep 15, 2013

Dear Memovox experts or collectors

Please help me to identify JLC memovox below. The seller doesn't have the movement or inside the backcase pictures. Is this like a good buy to you?

Thank you for your help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ulackfocus Sep 15, 2013

I know that watch - it's an E855 with a bumper caliber 825 inside.

Not sure if the dial is original or not. Need better pics. Usually the SWISS MADE is at least a little exposed at the bottom. The crowns might or might not be replacements, but again I'd need to see a better shot.

Never seen one with a date magnifier in the crystal.

3. stefan Sep 15, 2013

Think dial is original but incorrect hands and crystal so the retaining ring is hiding the SWISS MADE at the bottom.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 15, 2013

Looks like "JL" logos on the crowns, so they are probably original.

[​IMG]

This looks like Dennis's that could have a solid gold top and steel back. Also, I've not seen any with the model number on the back before. But it is the correct model number.

All JLC parts are tough to come by, but hands might be one of the easier things to find. I wouldn't bother replacing the crystal as there is no way to determine original JLC crystals anyway.

Good luck,
    gatorcpa

5. ulackfocus Sep 15, 2013

The crowns and location of the numbers on the back lead me to believe it's an earlier example. These larger 37 mm bumpers were introduced around 1958 and ran into the late 60's.

My 1966 specimen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 15, 2013

D - Look at the case serial number on the OP's example. It's about 1.4M as compared to your example at 1.0M. My guess is that it's a bit later than yours. In which case, the crowns might be original Jaeger-LeCoultre, but still might not be original.

gatorcpa

7. ulackfocus Sep 15, 2013

Duh, didn't even look at that. Might be a later example then, maybe '68 or '69.

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 15, 2013

Don't feel bad. I get paid well to spot things that don't make sense like this.
    gatorcpa

9. Albertwii81 Sep 16, 2013

Thank you all for your info. It helps a lot. This watch is really having a lot of variations from lugs, backcases, dials until it's difficult to understand all the models.
    I have tried to buy the watch but failed to do so. Somebody get it before me. Maybe its not my luck now. Nevertheless thank you for your help again. Let's the hunting begin again!! Hehe

Cheers :)

10. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Sep 16, 2013

I am late to this thread, but just thought to mention the version I have seen don't have the magnifier on the crystal.
    Here is my example:

[​IMG]

NT931, Gavin, dsio and 1 other person like this.
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 16, 2013

Very sharp