Forums Latest Members
  1. Porsche964 May 24, 2014

Hey guys!

First you have got to excuse my bad English ::shy:: ;) . I found 2 Omega watches that I am interested in at ebay and I am not shire wether they are faked or not.

1. An modified one from 1930: http://www.ebay.de/itm/301185319775?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    2. An original on from 1940: http://www.ebay.de/itm/351074941408?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Because the auctions are already ending in less than 24 hours it would be nice if you could answer fast.

Vincent

2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer May 24, 2014

No Omega has ever left the factory looking like the first watch, in my opinion it is fake even if the movement is actually Omega, and the bidders history is hidden which suggests shill bidding all the way.
    The second one is equally bad, the dial has been repainted with an arrow to try to make it somehow military. If you look at the movement you can see empty holes where screws should be. And there are clips that cover the omega logo on the movement.

In short run away, run far and run fast!

Porsche964 likes this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 24, 2014

Yea both are junkers I'm afraid

Porsche964 likes this.
  4. Porsche964 May 25, 2014

Thank you for the fast replies. I suspected that. So I have to search on ::psy::.

5. alvaropinto May 25, 2014

The first one is total crap and the second one is to confusing to figure out what it really is. Looks like a frankie...

6. Porsche964 May 25, 2014

So is there any chance at all to get an good and original Omega for less than $400?

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 25, 2014

Yes, but you have to be patient and very careful.
    gatorcpa

8. Porsche964 May 25, 2014

I there a specific website where I could find a good one?

9. Porsche964 May 25, 2014

10. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 25, 2014

Poor example - crappy movement and ugly redial.

11. Porsche964 May 25, 2014

Does anybody accidentally know someone who sells an original Omega for ca. 400$?

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 25, 2014

Not sure what you mean by "accidental"? You are looking at sites of vintage watch retailers. They make a living by not making mistakes. Highly unlikely you will find a nice piece for $400 or under.

What you are looking for is most likely on eBay. You want a watch out of an estate sale, in original condition. It most like likely will require a cleaning, which will run another $150 at least.

My advice is to spend the next two months looking on eBay and posting some of your finds here for comments. Only then will you develop an eye for what is and isn't original an correct. Another bit of advice--figure out which model you like and only look for similar watches. We all need to start somewhere.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

alvaropinto and Porsche964 like this.
  13. Fish May 25, 2014

I would keep looking on the For Sale section on here and other watch forums. Most have a seller feedback section, so if you see a watch you like you can ensure they are a respectable member before purchasing. It may take a while (I searched for several months) so be patient. While looking see if you can save some more money during that time as you may need to invest more money for what you are looking for, but it will be worth it. This thread should explain a lot for you, it helped me out a lot.

http://omegaforums.net/threads/condition-condition-condition-and-other-pieces-of-advice.1716/

Good luck with search.

Porsche964 likes this.
  14. Porsche964 May 25, 2014

Thank you gatorpca! I have already searched on and found three models which could be good. All of them are described as military.

1. The movement looks pretty good (no screws missing); the shining paint on the dial doesn't look original to me: http://www.ebay.de/itm/141289703731?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. The movement looks also pretty good and the dial has patina which could be a good sign: http://www.ebay.de/itm/231234552989?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

3. The movement looks pretty good, but the dial is repainted and there is no Omega sign on the side: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Omega-mens-w...234552989?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item35d6a7449dPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Hope at least one of them is an original. Which details are you checking to see weather it`s an original one? Thank you for spending so much time on my problems.

Vincent

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 25, 2014

1: is a put together from a pocket watch movement and fake parts, worth about $10

2/3 have the same link and its a refinished watch in bad shape from Argentina.

Don't buy anything from the Ukraine. And don't buy from South America until you know exactly what you're dealing with.

16. Porsche964 May 25, 2014

Thank you! I guess most of the watches on ebay are crappy fakes. How did you see that both are crappy?

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 25, 2014

Just comes with having looked at thousands of pictures of Omegas and learned. If you're serious about getting a good first vintage Omega you're going to have to slow down for a second, and find out first what you want. Go through the WRUW thread and look at what other people have that you like and narrow down the model you want. Then work out what your budget is and how far you're willing to stretch it. Then work out where the watches you desire and your budget overlap, start looking at them on the FS section and eBay and go from there.

I can assure you, there are good watches on eBay, but if you rush it and skip the research and learning part you'll end up doing your money on a lemon.

peep likes this.
  18. alvaropinto May 25, 2014

Many years of intense search and research, some risk taking and some disappointments.It really take some time to learn how to spot a watch in nice condition(it doesn't necessarily mean 100% original). If you haven't done it yet, take some time on this thread(mentioned already):

http://omegaforums.net/threads/condition-condition-condition-and-other-pieces-of-advice.1716/

There's also a lot of nice and very well experienced mates here who can help you out(as they did with me) finding out the right timepiece for you. Just make clear exactly what you are looking for and the most important thing, don't rush!
    Good luck!

19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 25, 2014

You are not going to get a true military issued Omega anywhere for $400.

A basic Geneve maybe, but even the military "inspired" designs are sold at a premium.

gatorcpa

20. Porsche964 May 25, 2014

Thank you!

I can increase the value to 800$ or when necessary even more. My favorites are the Military watches and chronographs. When I spent this much money could I get a solid and most important original one?