Forums Latest Members
  1. CoxAnonymous May 23, 2013

I've decided to dig in and buy a proper watch, the Omega Speedmaster.

In searching eBay, I'm struggling to understand the price range. Several this month have sold for $700-800 Thule most average in the mid $1000's. why are watches like this one sitting so low? I likely won't bid on this one. You guys have emphasized the importance of a movement picture, which this a auction lacks.

Omega Speedmaster Date #3811.70-OIOI (Japan special)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/171040898484?redirect=mobilePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://bit.ly/1ac6pKK

Thank you

2. ulackfocus May 23, 2013

The Speedmaster Reduced automatics are not nearly as popular as the Moonwatch manual winds. Less demand = lower price.

3. CoxAnonymous May 23, 2013

What is meant by "reduced" automatics? I certainly understand the difference between auto and manual wind. First time I've heard reduced...

4. ulackfocus May 23, 2013

The case is a smaller dimension - 42 mm for the moonwatch, 40 mm for the automatics.

5. CoxAnonymous May 23, 2013

Ah! That makes sense...

Thank you sir

6. MarkH May 23, 2013

While it doesn't have the cachet of the "Moon-watch", I have a "Speedy Reduced" that I wear as an everyday banger and love it. Excellant watch for the price IMO.

7. CoxAnonymous May 23, 2013

That is my aim, here. I thought about getting into a Seamaster around $500 but the more I look at the Speedmaster as a daily wear... I'm willing to buy right the first time.

8. Mothra May 23, 2013

I also love my speedy reduced, but it does take a week or two of mental adjustment if moving from a full size speedy (the bezel is large so the watch wears smaller than it is) and I'm conscious that the piggy back chronograph module is a pig to service and many watchmakers consider it to be disposable.

Does mean i don't have to be bothering with that winding business, so, horse for courses...

Dablitzer likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 23, 2013

I would not say the chronograph module is "disposable" but for example here in Canada Omega does not sell individual parts for the module, nor do they offer the whole module on exchange. The only thing they offer is to exchange the whole movement so the base movement and module together. Now I do understand in other countries they do sell the individual spare parts for the module, but not here for some reason. If they did sell parts here, I would consider investing in the fixtures needed to assemble the modules back together - these are needed to keep all the parts in their correct locations while the module is being assembled.

The procedure here if I were to take one in (I don't take these in by the way) would be that I would remove the movement from the case, remove the hands and dial, and then send the movement to Omega here for evaluation. They would determine if it is in good condition, or if it has more serious damage such as water damage. etc. If it's okay I get charged a standard fee for a movement exchange, and a refurbished movement is sent to me for installation into the watch. The movement I sent them goes to Switzerland to be refurbished and will end up in someone else's watch down the road somewhere in the world. If the watch has more serious damage, then an additional fee on top of the standard exchange is needed once they determine the full scope of what's required to repair it.

The standard exchange fee is more than I charge to service an automatic chronograph, so for me since 95%+ of the costs for servicing one of these are out of my control, it really makes no economic sense for me or the watch owner to have me do the work. I always recommend they just send it to Omega.

Now the modular chronographs can have some other quirks that an integrated chronograph does not. It's not always the case, but there does tend to be more play in the chronograph module than there would be in an integrated chronograph, and sometimes this can be seen in the hands.

There is noting inherently wrong with these, but for the OP just be aware of what you are buying and how it fits into the market, just in case you want to sell it down the road.

Cheers, Al

CoxAnonymous likes this.
  10. ulackfocus May 23, 2013

The watch the OP linked to is not a Dubois-Depraz module on an ETA movement - it's a Valjoux 7750. There's an easy way to tell:

The pushers for the DD chronograph module sit on a different plane than the crown since the module is on top of the movement.

The pushers for the Valjoux 7750 (and most integrated chronographs) are in line with the crown.

Some Speedmaster Reduced autos like the 3510 use the module. You can see the different plane the pushers line up on over top the level of the crown:

DDonETA.jpg

However, the watch in the eBay listing has the pushers and crown in line:

V7750.jpg

There are other hints that it's a 7750, like the date window and the subdial layout. While not cheap or particularly easy to service, 7750 parts are readily available.

Mothra and CoxAnonymous like this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 23, 2013

I didn't actually read the listing, and of course it says right there that it's an 1155, so no pusher alignment analysis needed, it's stated right there in black and white! ;)

Thanks for the catch mate - and yes this is a 7750 base movement (slightly modified), which are easily serviced and parts are readily available for, both from Omega and on the open market.

Cheers, Al

12. ulackfocus May 23, 2013

No worries Al. My post was more for the members newer to these watches than for you. Hopefully they'll remember the pusher alignment trick when they look at these automatic Speedies.

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 23, 2013

FYI, nomenclature wise, to avoid confusion, the 7750 based Speedmaster automatics are referred to as Speedmaster Date rather than Speedmaster reduced, the Speedmaster reduced (meaning a reduced size version of the same dial configuration, although small seconds and minute registers are reversed) are used to describe the DD piggyback module equipped variant.

Further the 33x3s then are all considered to be Broadarrow family Speedmasters, and the new co-axial chronometer variants are referred to as Speedmaster racing.

There are a lot of Speedys lol

CoxAnonymous likes this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 23, 2013

Indeed there are - when someone emails saying they want me to service their Speedy, I usually have to ask a few questions to know exactly what they are talking about....

15. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 23, 2013

thanks. was getting confused!

16. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 23, 2013

True, but that seller is trusted. If you are after a Speedy, the other options is George, here at the forum, who goes by Kringkily I bought my speedy pro from him and am very happy with it.

CoxAnonymous likes this.
  17. CoxAnonymous May 23, 2013

A lot of good information! A little overwhelming, how many variations there are within the older Speedmasters. I'm especially stuck on what Mothra called a "piggy back chronograph module" is and need to do more homework around that and the pusher alignment.

I'm not one to barter much with possessions; really looking to buy smart and pass it on as a decent heirloom. Afterall, i'm buying this to celebrate a long academic career / a graduate degree. What grabbed me about Archer 's words was that I need to be cognizant of what I'm buying and potential repairs in the future. I made the assumption that Speedmasters are common enough that repair / parts would be less of an issue. Way off base?

18. ulackfocus May 23, 2013

No, not for the manual wind models or the automatic 7750 powered ones. If you see the pushers off plane from the crown, pass on it for the reasons Al mentioned if you're worried about future service issues.

Hell, we haven't even sniffed the Lemania automatics either! :eek:

CoxAnonymous likes this.
  19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 23, 2013

Then there's JMSRolls' Speedmaster, another can of worms all together :)

speawrist-1.jpg
    NiklasARvid likes this.
  20. Mothra May 24, 2013

Dennis, really helpful, thanks. I didn't realise the 7750 went into these...